Thread: How to give an effect to a voice as if it's on the other side of a phonecall...

1. Default How to give an effect to a voice as if it's on the other side of a phonecall...

I wanted to ask if anyone knows any settings or effects that can be applied to a voice of someone speaking, so it would sound like they are on the other end of a phone call. (Like in the movies, when you see someone on the phone, but you hear the other speaker as if your listening in the phone receiver)

Thank you!

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

It takes some audio filtering. I use Goldwave for this sort of thing. I normalize the audio to -3dB, apply a hard clip at -6dB then filter with a 300Hz highpass and a 3000Hz lowpass. Soom people like a sharper sound to I apply a 2500 Hz single pole highpass to cut the low end of the voice spectrum.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

3. Default Thanks!

Thanks! I'll try that out.

If you're trying to imitate a mobile phone, you could also try adding a slight amount of 'bit crushing'. works well for me

5. Default More ways...

I got more ways from other guys:

1. Audition has it in Filters -> FFT Filter -> Telephone - Receiver. Premiere Pro requires two audio effects: a Highpass with a cutoff frequency set to 300 Hz and a Lowpass set to 3400 Hz.

What you are doing in Premiere is allowing all frequencies higher than 300 Hz to pass and allowing all frequencies lower than 3400 Hz to pass - this is essentially the range of the human voice. By all means, tune the frequencies to taste, but this should give you the approximate effect.

2. You pretty much just cut out all the bass and treble with an EQ.

Thanks again!

cool edit pro....now adobe audition....has that particular preset.....just apply it to the recording...

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Just for grins, I took a 4 second clip and processed it like I mentioned above -

Phone Demo normal

Phone Demo 300-3000Hz BPF

Phone Demo 3000Hz HPF and clip
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

8. Default Nice!

Cool! Thanks!

distortion and some massaging works too depending on how bad you want it to sound.