Thread: After effects 3d import

Default After effects 3d import

Ok i know a far bit about after effects and know that 3d cameras are posible and how to control them. So if i want to mix a cgi generated object into a real life enviroment, I know i have to create this in a 3d program and then export. This i haven't done and heres my main question, is it posible to create a 3d object then import it into after effects as a 3d object and then use it as a 3d object in a scene.

Example - i want to create some 3d buttons that appear in a scene(cgi mixed with real life scene) i want to also as it is easier to do have the buttons move and interect all in after effects. Or do i have to create the scene in a 3d engine render the movement and then import into after effects??

Also what is the best 3d software for this and what should i export this as ie file type

Thanks

Simon
    DUDE were's my car
    www.myspace.com/cheapdirt07

Quote Originally Posted by FNG View Post
    Ok i know a far bit about after effects and know that 3d cameras are posible and how to control them. So if i want to mix a cgi generated object into a real life enviroment, I know i have to create this in a 3d program and then export. This i haven't done and heres my main question, is it posible to create a 3d object then import it into after effects as a 3d object and then use it as a 3d object in a scene.

Example - i want to create some 3d buttons that appear in a scene(cgi mixed with real life scene) i want to also as it is easier to do have the buttons move and interect all in after effects. Or do i have to create the scene in a 3d engine render the movement and then import into after effects??

Also what is the best 3d software for this and what should i export this as ie file type

Thanks

Simon
    once you realise that After Effects is a compositor rather than a special effects package you have your answer methinks. You cannot import a 3D model in Ae and animate it there. you will have to render you model (with animation) out to a suitable format movie file (probably with alpha channel maybe) and import that into AE for compositting.

This is something that many would find useful. I have wondered about (and desired) it before.

It seems to me that after effects could be pretty close to having the capabilities, what I eventually decided upon, that would be ideal for my needs, is something that I'm sure it definitely has the capabilities for.

If anyone knows if such a plugin is available I would like to hear about it.

It's basically a tool that will take a single layer and offer the ability to manipulate it's shape in a way similar to a 3d modeling package.

Not the basic 3d cube or cylinder stuff, but something with a lot more flexibility.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

David.