Thread: Why can't I just burn my files to DVD???

Default Why can't I just burn my files to DVD???

I had a question earlier about compressing files cuz they were taking up too much space.

The answer I was given was that compressing takes away too much quality and it was suggested that I keep a bunch of hard drives for video files.

I can't buy a bunch of hard drives (dont have a job yet or nothin) but it hit me today...

Whats to stop me from burning my files to DVD??? i've got a bunch of blank dvd's.

Now i don't mean burn as in burn like video files to watch on the DVD, but burn them as data on a DVD, and treat the DVD like a harddrive.

That would allow me to delete them off my computer, and if they're needed again, I can get them back from the DVD.

Any comments / approvals / disapprovals??

And what DVD's should i use... DVD-R's or DVD+R's ???

Certainly this is possible but you will have to make sure you are watching the size of your captured media. Because uncompressed video files are so large in size you wont be able to backup a 12GB file on a 4.7GB disc.

yea but i cut them up

like i dont just import the whole tape i import it by scenes

so thnx for confirming that as an option.. im gonna give that a try right now

4. Default

Yes that will work absolutely. I do it all the time for some videos. Another method which works along with burning to DVD is to use WinRar to compress the files. This compression is NOT the same as video compression and will not degrade the video. You can use the file splitting feature of Winrar and it will split up a large video file so it fits on whatever size media you tell it to. When you go into the setting of winrar use the 'Fastest' setting. This setting compresses a little less and is fast, which you need for such large files. It does take a while to compress the files so allow for this. I suggest experimenting with it before you delelte any files.