Thread: Video Standards Council...

Default Video Standards Council...

just been on the website and I see that "music" is exempt from classification, any suggestions as to how I should identify this on the DVDs we produce. I noticed there was advice on making certification logos a while ago (anyone have an exempt one?) or is a simple statement of the fact enough.

"The content of this DVD is exempt from classification"

would that do?

The copyright side of it is ok, the artist we recorded wrote all the songs....lol...and in our T&Cs we advise the client of their obligations to make the necessary arrangements/clearances.

What you suggest will do, but it is not actually necessary at all. It's exempt from the Video Recordings Act labelling requirements.

Blog Entries

All DVDs which include any moving pictures and are for sale (in the UK) must be classified by the BBFC. It costs about 12 a minute and legally there are no exceptions. How the law is actually applied, is something else.

Music-only CDs and DVDs need not be classified but (big but) they might fall under the Obscene Publications Act if they contain "explicit" lyrics and it's an offence to offer "obscene" material to minors.

Will this do?

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    All DVDs which include any moving pictures and are for sale (in the UK) must be classified by the BBFC. It costs about 12 a minute and legally there are no exceptions. How the law is actually applied, is something else.

Music-only CDs and DVDs need not be classified but (big but) they might fall under the Obscene Publications Act if they contain "explicit" lyrics and it's an offence to offer "obscene" material to minors.

But exempted works are not required to be labelled, which is what the OP was asking about. I was assuming that he was talking about a video DVD.