Thread: Vegas Movie Studio 6 (Plat): Overlay shape distortion

Question Vegas Movie Studio 6 (Plat): Overlay shape distortion

Hi all.
    New boy here.

Can anyone tell me if (and if so, how) it's possible to manipulate the shape of an Overlay in Vegas Movie Studio? I have v6 Platinum edition.

I would like to have a distorted Picture in Picture effect so - for example - I can put a movie in a TV screen that's not square on to camera.

So, I'm looking for a way to re-size/shape/manipulate the Overlay track beyond the basic up/down/across/size/rotation facilities, i.e. I want to be able to position the corners independently.

I know this can be done in Ulead Video Studio as I had the trial version a short while ago. But can it it be done in Vegas..?

Any help/advice/cheese and pickle sandwiches most appreciated.
    Cheers
    Frank

i'm not sure if u can do this in movie studio but try it - see if u can change the layer to a 3d source alpha layer. this will give you the z axis u eed to rotate on to scewe it for an angled surface

Sadly it looks like the 3D Source Alpha Layer function is only available in the 'full' version of Vegas and not the Movie Studio, according to Help. The only Compositing Modes I have available are 'Alpha Layer' and 'Multiply (mask)'.

Many thanks for your pointer; would there be any other methods available do you suppose?

If not, I guess I'll have to buy a lottery ticket with a view to getting the full on software someday. Or perhaps v8 might allow such creativity when it comes out later this year... (always pays to live in hope).

Cheers
    Frank
    Last edited by FranksBank; 03-06-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Hi,

It would take a bit of playing with but you might be able to create the effect by using the following method.

For this example we will have two video tracks. We now need to add two FX effects to the top track, this is the one that will act as the small picture.

Select "Video FX" - "Cookie Cutter", from within this effect select "Shape" - "Rectangle" then from the "Method" drop down select "Cut away all but section". You can alter the dimensions and position from within here.

Now add another FX, "Video FX" - "Deform" - "Squeeze Left". Again from here you can alter dimensions etc, but the more important one would be the "Amount"

Finally select the "Pan Crop" tool on the track that you have added the FX's. This is when you will have to move and resize the video to fit.

It's a bit of a botch but it could work with a little effort.

Hi Gordon, and thanks!
    I've had a quick play and yes, I can get close to what I'm looking for with this method. The overlay does get restricted in its position in the main frame, but it's a really good start in definitely the right direction. I'll keep tinkering with it.

Many thanks indeed for your advice/workaround.
    Cheers
    Frank

NB. It's occurred to me that, using this method, I could create the shape I need with the lower track being a simple flat colour background. I could then save the composition as a movie in its own right, then import it into my main project where the 'background' can be masked/keyed out and the layer freely positioned/scaled. Reasonable idea?