Thread: mpeg-2 render in after effects

Default mpeg-2 render in after effects

i used to render compositions from after affects using the avi uncompressed format. i didn't mind the resulting file size not until recently when i found myself running out of hard disk space i then noticed i cannot render to mpeg-2 from after effects. i couldnt find any mpeg-2 codec in my output settings (I use AE 6.5 pro) though i know i have some mpeg-2 codecs working in Ulead VStudio 10. what mpeg-2 codec can i use so that i can use it to render from AE 6.5?
    please help. thnx.
    tikki
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+; 1 X 512 RAM; Epox 8KDA3J; 128 MB Redfox Radeon 9200SE; Asus CD-RW; Maxtor 120GB boot drive; Seagate 40GB scratch disk.

2. Default

If you output to Mpeg2 you will not get good quality if you want to bring it into another editing app. Also once in that app it will need to make an upcompressed version of that file to work with so you are right back to a bigger file size. Mpeg2, as with divx and all other compressed formats like that, are for playback only, not to work with.

Why does everyone think that video shouldn't take up much space. Can you park your car in the same space where your bicycle was?
    Last edited by Evereddie; 02-27-2007 at 03:00 PM.

i dont do much editing anymore in mpeg2. i output it coz i use it as the file i render to dvd discs using ulead vstudio..so what mpeg2 codec can i use in after effects 6.5?
    tikki
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+; 1 X 512 RAM; Epox 8KDA3J; 128 MB Redfox Radeon 9200SE; Asus CD-RW; Maxtor 120GB boot drive; Seagate 40GB scratch disk.

Respectfully, Everreddie is right. I've never tried exporting to MPEg2 from there and would not be surprised if you can't do it at all.

by wanting to do it at all you are effectively using AE as an editor rather than the compositting tool that it is.

I think it should be thought about more as a plugin in to Premiere (or some other editor) than as a seperate app. It's real use is for 'adjusting' your clips and timelines and not for editting and producing the final version. As such it is expecting you to render in best quality for inclusion in your final projects in an editor.

Of course, if you do find a codec that works then let me know. I would be interested.

so it seems like that codec doesnt exist it is my thinking that when ulead vstudio create dvd discs, it effectively renders your timeline to mpeg2. so that if i render from AE to avi and then i put it in ulead, it is as if the rendering will happen twice (AE to AVI to mpeg2). i think im just kind of wanting to quicken things up

EDIT: I just came to know AE 7 can render to mpg2. How come AE 6.5 cant :(
    Last edited by tikki; 05-04-2007 at 02:18 PM.
    tikki