Thread: Timeline files display as offline

Default Timeline files display as offline

Help, I am using v6.5 and am midway through a large editing project (800 gb's worth of AVI files). I have been sorting the good from bad and putting the good footage into individual projects.

I have recently had some new footage captured on another pc and ever since I have the following problem:

If I open up an existing project, A pop up screen is asking me " Where is the clip untitled 03 tape 9" etc.

Also all of my clips in the Timeline viewer show a Red screen with Japanese writing and English saying "media offline"

How can I get the clips to show in the timeline window?

Sorry if this is a dumb ass question but I am new to this.

Thanks

Stuart Morgan
    Last edited by stuartm; 02-27-2007 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stuartm View Post
    Help, I am using v6.5 and am midway through a large editing project (800 gb's worth of AVI files). I have been sorting the good from bad and putting the good footage into individual projects.

I have recently had some new footage captured on another pc and ever since I have the following problem:

If I open up an existing project, A pop up screen is asking me " Where is the clip untitled 03 tape 9" etc.

Also all of my clips in the Timeline viewer show a Red screen with Japanese writing and English saying "media offline"

How can I get the clips to show in the timeline window?

Sorry if this is a dumb ass question but I am new to this.

Thanks

Stuart Morgan
    If the s/w is asking you where the file is I respectfully suggest you simply answer the question.

The s/w has simply lo9st the link between the asset on the timeline and the file where it lives and simply wants to rebuild the link.

If you answer the question then your problems will go away.

If it is looking for example for a missing filed called "untitled clip 1 tape3" and I direct it towards the original unedited imported tape 3 folder, should it not find it and then display in the timeline window? because it doesn't when I try it.

I have for example 20 clips of edited footage from tape 3. In the timeline all are displaying as the red logo with the offline message. In the project window (top left i think?) the untitled clips are shown but have a symbol next to them that is a green and brown arrow similar to a recycled logo.

I am struggling to restore the link so the clips will show in either monitor or timeline. I have tried importing the tape 3 again but obviously that justs gives me the whole tape and not the edited clips I had saved in my project.

sorry if it sounds a bit daft but can you tell me what to click in which order to restore these links?
    Thanks

Stuart

Close the project and re-open it. For every asset used that Premiere has lost sight of the original for it will ask you where file 'XXXX' is. For each question, locate the file and select it. the link will be reformed.

Likely as not what you've done is import the file and then move it into a different directory in Windows Explorer or something and Premiere simply can't find it where it thought it was.

Thanks very much Alan, I didn't realise that you had to go through and show it where ALL the missing files are before it reloads them all up into the timeline. I was trying to do it 1 by 1.

One last thing, is it easy to save my individual projects so that they can be used in another editing package? A chap that is helping out uses Final Cut pro on a mac. Do I have to save in any particular file format to do this ?

Cheers for you help, youve saved the day!

Stuart
    Last edited by Alan Mills; 02-27-2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: To spell my name correctly!