Thread: Question about compressing files for editing.

Default Question about compressing files for editing.

Okay so I work with a limited budget of space (it's my parents' computer so i can't take up crazy GB of space).

So when I take the videos from my camera to my computer, I use the program that came with it, and put then in highest quality. This is crazy and like 30 second videos will be 400 mb which is WAY more than I can take up.

So I then take those and open them in Windows Movie Maker and save them in the highest quality possible, which takes the space away like mad.

I was wondering if this is good or if it's just better to take the videos in from my cam. in lower quality???

Also they come on my comp in .avi then i save em to .wmv (in case u didnt know)

The nature of video is Large files.

There isnt really any way of taking video from a camera and retaining good quality without taking up huge amounts of space. What i'd recommend is to ask your parents very nicely to buy a second hardrive just for your video stuff - or maybe you could save up and buy one yourself.

I have a shelf of Hard drives. Projects i work on can consist of 300+ GB of video alone. When i finish a project i take the disc out, lael it and put it on the shelf as an archive. I do this professionally and so i can add these costs into my invoices but i thought i'd tell you so you can appreciate that media does take up lots of space.