Thread: Loss of picture quality

Default Loss of picture quality

Hi everyone,

I am completely new to camcorders. I got one to film my one month old daughter.

My camcorder is a new Sony DVD109e (new for feb 2007)
    The software I bought is magix movie edit pro 10.
    I also got an external DVD re-writer as my PC didn't have one.

I was hoping to use a couple of RW DVD's and keep putting all the data onto my PC. Comparing the playback of the video from a DVD finalized in the camera (8cm) it seems much better than the video once it gets put onto my PC (which seems to have little lines on the borders of objects and a shaky delay in all movements for the video that has been put onto the PC)

Is this normal , or is it there something I have missed?
    I guess I will buy more 8cm DVD's to keep the raw data. but don't wan't my new external DVD re-writer and editing software to be wasted..

Hope you can help,

Thanks,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Rexate View Post
    Hi everyone,

My camcorder is a new Sony DVD109e (new for feb 2007)

... seems to have little lines on the borders of objects and a shaky delay in all movements for the video that has been put onto the PC

Is this normal , or is it there something I have missed?

Craig

Sounds like interlacing to me, which is normal, but DVD cameras seem to be really bad for that sort of thing! Much lower data rate, and less fps recording than miniDV, and on the fly (rushed) encoding (which is why the interlacing tends to be much more exagurated)

I've been asked to edit things for clients from these cameras, and even de-interlacing software doesn't help much!

Can't stand the things myself. Throw it in the bin and get a better camera, and don't listen to the oiks in currys or believe sony's advertising again.

This probably sounds very negative (and I apologise in advance), but if you want to easily edit your footage I suggest you ditch the DVD camera without delay and buy a miniDV one instead.

Honestly. I have two lovely daughters and I'd hate to have to edit footage of them from a $hitty DVD-based camera.

Manufacturers of DVD-based cameras assume that the purchasers of them will not want to edit the footage from them.

Sorry to be so forward.

Thanks for the replies guys,

This is why I love forums, no B-S sales, just solid advice.

The miniDV looks like the more professional option, but also more hard work. I just want to keep the video safe for when she is older. The editing doesn't bother me that much then as long as I know it's all dvd cameras and not just mine. I am also a bit lazy and don't want too much hassle. Does this swing it back in favour of dvd then?

Thanks,
    Craig
    Last edited by Rexate; 03-08-2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: new idea

Mini dv has the biggest advantage that you keep your original footage uncompressed on tape, or if your camera supports it, to write a edited film back to minidv tape. For safekeepings you can allways make an image directly from your editing program or burn a dvd out of it. In that way you have a 3way back up for your precious recordings.

With dvd you could make a copy to your harddisk, only I find it stranges that the quality is not the same, I never make copies from a dvd to harddisk so I don't know much about it, did your dvd recorder come with burning software? Maybe you could use that to make a 1:1 copy from your dvd to the harddisk of your pc?

From what you guys have posted I can't seem to see any advantage of DVD camcorders??

I bought mine thinking, it's the newest release , it's dvd, it must be good. Logic<Knowledge=300 brick...

Won't the little 8cm dvd's I make last longer than miniDV tapes. SO in 10 years time they will still be good as new.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Rexate View Post
    Won't the little 8cm dvd's I make last longer than miniDV tapes. SO in 10 years time they will still be good as new.
    It all depends on how you store it, I think nobody can give you a guarantee that in 10 years all your media will work just fine, harddisks can crash so you lose your data, dvd's can get scratched so they won't start up anymore. Mini-dv tapes aren't for life either I guess but is the safest way to backup, when storing them it's important that you place the tape on its side and wether you use a dvd or minidv tape, allways store then in a dark, dry and dustfree place.

That's why I allways make 3 backups of my important media, to a harddisk (as an image) to a dvd and to a mini-dv tape. Especially with your children you want to keep those images for life, with mini-dv tape you can be sure that in 15-20 year's it won't exsist anymore but during that time you have the opportunity to transfer everything to maybe blue ray or whatever medium they invent by then.
    Just make sure you allways have more then one copy available and that you have one copy of your master tape or dvd.
    Last edited by noa; 03-08-2007 at 03:20 PM.