Thread: How do I get a good clear image?

Smile How do I get a good clear image?

Hi

I have been tasked with capturing a still image in Premeire Pro and print it off. My initial attempts have produced a hazey look to the pictures and I'm sure I can get batter quality to the image for printing.

The footage I have is on both DVD and VHS formats shot by a professional BBC camera person.

I've captured the footage thus far from VHS converted to AVI using Dazzle 90 and capturing the still in Prem Pro - the result is a hazey image! Trying to enhance the image in Photshop CS.

What can I do to improve the quality of the image?

Should I record the DVD onto DV tape through my DSR11 and then capture the still through Prem Pro?

Should I get a DVD ripper?

Can anyone provide any advice that will enable me to improve the print quality?

Many Thanks

Neilers

you're not going to do yourself any favours by converting it anymore than it needs to be to get to the printer.

Was the footage originally VHS? if it was then that's as good as you'll get. If the DVD contains a "better" image then try getting it from that. Going through dvd to dv will usually cause more loss of quality than 'ripping' straight from the dvd, although it would still look better than from VHS

Blog Entries

Stills from video are often very poor. All i can suggest is capture closest to the source generation wise and clean up the pics with contrast increase and maybe some sharpening.

Thumbs down

Sorry but you're not going to get a good clean image. The chances are you have a capture of 50 images per second (that's equiv to only 25 frames per second when they are interlaced together), so with any degree of movement it's going to be blurred. Your only hope is if you are using a much smaller image than the original capture in which case the blurred parts can be blended when re-sized
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilers View Post
    Hi

I have been tasked with capturing a still image in Premeire Pro and print it off. My initial attempts have produced a hazey look to the pictures and I'm sure I can get batter quality to the image for printing.

The footage I have is on both DVD and VHS formats shot by a professional BBC camera person.

I've captured the footage thus far from VHS converted to AVI using Dazzle 90 and capturing the still in Prem Pro - the result is a hazey image! Trying to enhance the image in Photshop CS.

What can I do to improve the quality of the image?

Should I record the DVD onto DV tape through my DSR11 and then capture the still through Prem Pro?

Should I get a DVD ripper?

Can anyone provide any advice that will enable me to improve the print quality?

Many Thanks

Neilers