Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question about transitions

Default Quick question about transitions

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to put this.

I have one question:

When watching movies and shows, I notice that whatever transition they use, it's quick. Like not between scenes, but like between lines.

Like in Everybody Loves Raymond if there's multiple people talking in the conversation it will flash back and forth to whoever's talking and the transition is really quick and almost unnoticeable.

Well my friends and I are in the planning stage of a full-length movie, and I will be in charge of video editing so I've got to "step my game up" this time.

I use Windows Movie Maker, and usually make every clip "Fade in from black" and "Fade out from black" as my transitions, but that is longer than I would like.

I'm wondering how to make a quick transition where it's like that little bit of black you see in between them but it's smooth and almost unnoticeable.

Thnx for any help, and "get a better program" isn't an option, so please keep that in mind.

The term is CUT, transitions are crossfades over a period of time were as CUTS are abrupt changes.

I would guess the program would allow cuts as they are more basic then transisitons

See if this site helps
    http://www.monet.k12.ca.us/Challenge...l.htm#timeline

... okay but how do i do this???

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie31 View Post
    ... okay but how do i do this???
    I'm rather surprised it's not the default!

Normally when one clip butts against the next, normally as simple as that, you might need to trim the clips first, but a cut is the default .

okay yea i know what you mean... i just go where i want to "cut the clip into 2" sorta thing and go "split clip" ... but when played side by side they just kinda "jump" between eachother... it's rather unsmooth... something about professional shows and what not seams more smooth... like maybe a 1/2 second of black in between or somethin i dunno

Straight cuts don't usually involve any bits of black between shots.

But you could experiment with them easily enough. Go the point where two clips butt up. 'Zoom' right in on the timeline, then prise the clips apart by a couple of frames. See what results.

It's not the industry way of doing things, but if it's what you like then no-one can knock you.

Alternatively, see what a very quick dissolve transition looks like. You will firstly need to set Movie Maker's default transition duration to the lowest setting (0.25sec) in the program options.

That will soften up the cut a bit, and may give you the effect that you were imagining.

Quote Originally Posted by bert6280 View Post
    It's not the industry way of doing things, but if it's what you like then no-one can knock you.
    I totally agree. I tend to think of a transition as like the layout of page of text. If you notice it then it's wrong!

In my opinion, if you use a straight cut less than 99.9% of the time then you're doing it wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie31 View Post
    okay yea i know what you mean... i just go where i want to "cut the clip into 2" sorta thing and go "split clip" ... but when played side by side they just kinda "jump" between eachother... it's rather unsmooth... something about professional shows and what not seams more smooth... like maybe a 1/2 second of black in between or somethin i dunno
    It is more then likely they are jump cuts, shots that are similar yet not the same

You need to have shots that are different or cut (close up) in or out (wide), sometimes you can get away with jump cuts with music

alright well thnx for all the help, but one more question

theres an example (not my video)... like when they go from them dancing to the people at the table's reaction then back to them dancing... it's so fast and smooth.. is that just the clips bumped up against eachother??

EDIT: and i mean near the beginning.. not where they have the clips fade into eachother

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast