Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using clip from one project in another

Default Using clip from one project in another

Hi,

I have Premiere Elements 2.0 and I have (stupidly) created two different projects, each with a clip in it that I now need together in one projecton on the one timeline. I can't seem to be able to take what is on the timeline on one project and get it onto the timeline of another project. If I look in Windows Explorer, I can find the projects with a .prel suffix, but there are no files listed in those folders. I have tried a simple cut n paste of one timeline into another but it doesn't work. Surely what I'm wanting can't be that hard? I'd hate to have to recut what I've done.

Thanks,

Simon

try exporting the clip as a dv avi from your first project and import that clip in your second project.

Great idea. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Can you not import one project into another, effectively combining them?

I would have thought so too. I tried to import media but the .prel files don't seem to show up as an option, only the regular mpgs, avi's etc. And if you choose to open another project, the one you are currently on always closes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    Can you not import one project into another, effectively combining them?
    I never tried it so I'm not sure but I think Premiere does not have this option, that's why there is the possibility in the pro version to make multiple sequences. In that way you can break your project into as many parts as you want.
    Vegas on the other hand does support importing projects but then again in vegas you can't work with multiple sequences, personally I prefer having multiple sequences in one and the same project for an easy workflow. It does have a big risk though of loosing all your data if your project file becomes corrupt and if there is no back up file to restore from. But that's a bit different story
    Last edited by noa; 02-26-2007 at 02:02 PM.

Noa,

Your tip worked - thanks! I exported the project as an mpg file and simply reloaded it into the other project. Easy!

Quote Originally Posted by simon1 View Post
    Noa,

Your tip worked - thanks! I exported the project as an mpg file and simply reloaded it into the other project. Easy!
    he said export as DV AVI. You exported in a lossy format, losing quality for any further work and final export. If you can, do it again but export to AVI.

D'oh! Got it - thanks. I clicked on the Export button at the top and didn't see any avi option. Found it now under File - Export - Movie. Luckily, it's not too late.

Thanks for all the help folks.

Millsy Workflow tip #357

Don't know if this is any help but if Elements works like Premiere pro and you're in a hurry you can save yourself a render here.

What you've done is

1) build timeline and played it back numerous times to check it out.
    2) Exported that timeline as an AVI file
    3) imported the AVI into new project

That's about it right?

But line 1 included a render of the timeline for playback right? Or at least it will if you've applied any effects or transitions.

That 'render' (in Premier Pro) is ticked away in a (series of) AVI files in a temp directory.

So, once in a while, when I'm in a hurry I simply grab a copy of those timeline renders, copy them to my 'assets' directory and import them into a new project. This effectively negates the need for step 2 above.

you have to be a little carefull though. For example, If you have a clip that has a fade in and a fade out then you end up with 3 AVI files in the temp dir for each 'section' of the clip.

I've done this a number of times and no-one has ever noticed.
    Last edited by Alan Mills; 02-28-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast