Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get into videography

Default Trying to get into videography

http://www.aspect-dvs.com/video.htm

Comments and tips would be appreciated ( be kind)

By asking to be kind, are you really asking us to just point out the good and not what could use some work?
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

not at all, all comments would be appreciated good or bad, I can hopefully learn from my mistakes when they are pointed out, thanks for looking

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deaves147 View Post
    http://www.aspect-dvs.com/video.htm

Comments and tips would be appreciated ( be kind)
    It's difficult to give a critical assessment of the piece you posted without knowing a bit more about your background. Would you be kind enough to answer a few of these questions to enable us to give advice tailored to your specific circumstances?

1) How long have you been involved with filming and editing?
    2) Was the video a for a friend, family or client?
    3) What equipment do you use whilst filming and what do you have available?
    4) By videography, I assume you mean wedding videography from what you posted?
    5) Was this your first wedding video?

The video itself was pleasant enough as a gift to a friend or family, but I personally wouldn't hire you to film at my wedding. Again, without knowing your background, I'm not really in a position to comment. But from a technical perspective there are a few initial comments:

Camera Work: Camera shake was evident in almost every shot. I assume you're using one single handheld camera, which doesn't cut the mustard for a videography assignment. Framing was also poor and lacked thought. This is evident for the shots of the two bridesmaids at 22 seconds. There was no attempt to vary shot composition with an overuse of tracking and zooming shots throughout.

Editing: The video flowed and matched the pace of the music. However, there was an overuse of slow motion with no apparent added impact, i.e. no emotion was added by its use. The cross fades were also evident and distracted from the flow of the video. Colour correction is needed for many of the shots due to the poor lighting and it would have been good to have seen some attempt at this - the shots outside seemed very blue for example, and I could just about make out that there was a couple dancing at the end.

Sound: Nothing really upon which to comment I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    It's difficult to give a critical assessment of the piece you posted without knowing a bit more about your background. Would you be kind enough to answer a few of these questions to enable us to give advice tailored to your specific circumstances?

1) How long have you been involved with filming and editing?
    2) Was the video a for a friend, family or client?
    3) What equipment do you use whilst filming and what do you have available?
    4) By videography, I assume you mean wedding videography from what you posted?
    5) Was this your first wedding video?

The video itself was pleasant enough as a gift to a friend or family, but I personally wouldn't hire you to film at my wedding. Again, without knowing your background, I'm not really in a position to comment. But from a technical perspective there are a few initial comments:

Camera Work: Camera shake was evident in almost every shot. I assume you're using one single handheld camera, which doesn't cut the mustard for a videography assignment. Framing was also poor and lacked thought. This is evident for the shots of the two bridesmaids at 22 seconds. There was no attempt to vary shot composition with an overuse of tracking and zooming shots throughout.

Editing: The video flowed and matched the pace of the music. However, there was an overuse of slow motion with no apparent added impact, i.e. no emotion was added by its use. The cross fades were also evident and distracted from the flow of the video. Colour correction is needed for many of the shots due to the poor lighting and it would have been good to have seen some attempt at this - the shots outside seemed very blue for example, and I could just about make out that there was a couple dancing at the end.

Sound: Nothing really upon which to comment I'm afraid.
    Hi
    Thanks for your comments.
    1. I have just started trying to edit, as far as filming just the normal family stuff in and about the house.
    2. The video was for a friend
    3. I used a sony trv 900 on a tripod for the vows and handheld for everything else, eited with Ulead MediaStudio Pro 8.
    4. Yes I meant wedding videography, I have since purchased two Canon XH A1 cameras.
    5. Yes it was my first wedding, I am hoping to film as many as I can for nothing before thinking I'm good enough to be able to charge.

Blog Entries

Did you enjoy filming on the day, and the edit afterwards? What lessons did you learn whilst in filming and post that you'd be able to take forward into a 'career'. Most importantly, what's your motivation for becoming a videographer?

Filming weddings for free is fine and dandy, but honestly won't help you improve beyond making those first time mistakes and faux pas. From what I've seen of you work, you need to shadow a videographer rather than offer weddings for free. You'll learn so much more than just muddling through as it will ground you in the basics; there's a certain layer of technical ability which forms the basis upon which your talent can shine.

Do you have any more weddings lined up to shoot with the new equipment? Do you have an idea of a pricing structure, your target market or how you will attract these free clients? I just want to make sure you're aware of how difficult the wedding videography business is, and how its image is frequently tarnished.

Training, get that first and build on it. Also as suggested above shadow a pro and get the secrets of a good video. Watch other peoples videos and the TV and see what they do, why the do it and how you thing it was done.

On the video some poor framing, iris closing when seeing more light (church spire shot) a sign to me of some one who has not grasped the basics.
    Children shots, what is it saying, not much they are in the corner looking lost, you must be ruthless in editing, if a shot does not say anything cut it out.
    Nice close up of a guest, good use of audio over first dance even if you are a bit distant from them.
    When going out for the day have in mind the sequence of shot you need to make that video, so you have everything to hand and also know your clients.

Good luck

Just practice

Blog Entries

As far as it went it was ok - ok for a non professional job.

I always think of the crap in crap out rule when shooting. When I started making stuff I was all fired up by my editing genius and power and rather neglectfull of my camera work.

How important thoughtful well composed camera work is can vary but I would say that for a wedding it is very important. Stills guys are the king of good static composition - rule of thirds and all that, read up on composition and think hard about every shot.

Camera work was far too shaky and indecisive movement looks rubbish. Pan slowly and with intent and as a rule dont zoom in shot except with much thought, and go slowly and only one way, only ever one way.

This may be a personal thing but I would suggest using the camera in all manual mode - more work but this gives you more control and avoids odd changes of exposure / focus.

The editing has some nice touches but dont get carried away - simple and neat is best.

Sound - if you are selling stuff must use original music - a pain really but it is unprofessional to use someone elses music for a commercial project, having said that many people do this but doing so is a bit of a legal risk.

If you dont have one - get a wideangle convertor, a stedicam is also often used by wedding vidders.

I should add that I dont do weddings and do not claim to be an expert at them.
    Last edited by Mark W; 02-25-2007 at 05:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Sound - if you are selling stuff must use original music - a pain really but it is unprofessional to use someone elses music for a commercial project, having said that many people do this but doing so is a bit of a legal risk.
    No legal ramifacations whatsoever with the appropriate licence:

http://www.videolicence.co.uk/
    http://www.iov.co.uk/showarticle.pl?id=29046;n=40
    http://www.apv.org.uk/benefits_apv_intro.asp?menu=m4

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Ah, yes, I didnt realise it was this straightforward to get these things sorted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast