Thread: Memories of the E.K. Railroad

Default Memories of the E.K. Railroad

Back in the late 1800s to early 1900s there was a short-line railroad that ran through Eastern Kentucky from Greenup to Webbville. It was called the E.K. Railway.

I recently made a mini documentary video for a website dedicated to the history of that ghost railroad. Using the "Pan/Crop" function in the Vegas 7 editor, I was able to add motion to historical still pictures, then set it to music with a bit of stock train footage added to the opening to set the mood. Runs 04:13

view it: Memories of the E.K. Railroad

This is quite nice. The edit and the choice of music was spot on but one thing is missing. A voice-over. Without it it's a montage not a documentary.

A simple voice over giving a brief history about it is needed to help you through the video so your audience knows what its looking at and when.

I'd also change the opening graphic to be simple white text on black.

All round - a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by irishmark View Post
    This is quite nice. The edit and the choice of music was spot on but one thing is missing. A voice-over. Without it it's a montage not a documentary.

A simple voice over giving a brief history about it is needed to help you through the video so your audience knows what its looking at and when.

I'd also change the opening graphic to be simple white text on black.

All round - a good job.
    You are correct. It is not a documentary. Poor choice of words. Actually, it is a proof-of-concept clip for a future documentary (which will have narration).

The major challange ahead is lack of visual material. This railroad operated between 1867 and 1933 and, of course, there is no actual film or video available from that time, only a few still shots. There is also little or no video of any antique engines or revenue cars from that era preserved today. If anybody has any interesting suggestions on how to overcome this small fact of life I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions.
    Thanks for the feedback.