Thread: M2V file copying

Default M2V file copying

I have had some cine films copied to DVD. I also had an mpeg2 copy made for editing at the same time. The mpeg2 file is actually a 2 gig m2v file. I can not view this with windows media player. I have been told to change the file extension to mp2 file. I cann't do this until it is on my hard drive. I am unable to copy this file from the CD to the hard drive. Its says the file is corrupted and unreadable. I know that it is not though. How can I copy these large sizes files?
    Thanks for your help

Blog Entries

To be able to play the MPEG2 file on your PC you will need an MPEG2 codec on your PC.

Default large file copy

Thanks for the advice on the codec. However I still have the problem of being unable to copy the large 2gig file from the dvd disk to my hard drive. Any suggestions why I am unable to do that?
    Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Given that you are unable to test whether the video file on the DVD is playable, it's possible that the file is indeed corrupt. Are there any scratches on the DVD? How long is the video? That would give an idea of whether the 2GB file size is appropriate.

To be honest you asked for an editable format, and as the client what you recieved is NOT fit for purpose. I would go back to the 'supplier' and get an editable format. Otherwise simply transfer the VOB files to your hard drive from the DVD. These are just as 'easily' edited as the MPEG2 file (in fact one could almost say that they are the same).

5. Default

Maybe you made a slip but you said CD which a 2 gig file would not fit on. Is it a CD or a DVD. And of course the question has to be asked, if it is a DVD did you try it in a CD player by mistake.

Are you able to look at the file in Windows Explorer and does it say it has a m2v file extension.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes I did slip up with the cd/dvd description!. OK, I can view the dvd files, such as VTS_01.0.vob, VTS_01.2.vob etc. I copied the first file from the dvd to my hard drive ok, it is about 25Mb. The second .vob file is about 300Mb. Trying to copy this and I get 'Invalid MS-DOS version'. Same with another .vob file which is about 1Gb.
    I am running WinXP home, SP2, 1 gig RAM.
    The good thing is the small .vob file I was able to copy to my hard drive and re-named .avi -I could import it into Wondows Movie Maker.
    Thanks again.

7. Default

Maybe the media is bad and will play but not copy. Not the first time I've seen this.
    Others are having similar problems and it has to do with firmware version, file structures, etc. Here is a link with bits and pieces of your problem and maybe a solution. If at all possible I would have the disc re-done and ask it to be done on another burner and burnned at a lower speed just to cover all the bases.
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=102755