Thread: Authored DVD freezes on playback

Default Authored DVD freezes on playback

I am new to DVD authoring and am having a problem when playing back authored DVD's on both my PC and DVD player. The playback freezes at the same points each time; on my PC if I use fast forward it will sometimes skip over the problem area and on other times I have to eject the DVD.

I have used Roxio Dell Movie Studio and on 3 different DVD's the playback freezes at 2 or 3 points each. When I used Sonic Mydvd the playback freezes about 5 times in the first five minutes. I am using Sony DVD+R disks which I am taking straight from the case into the drive so there should be no dust.

The actual quality of video playback is fine apart from when it freezes.

Is the particular brand of DVD+R media you are using on the compatibility list of your DVD burner?

Also, I've found I get a lot less 'coffee mats' from burning (actually I can;t remember havign any since I adopted this approach) if I literally shut down everything I;m not actually using, virus checker as well. Try losing everythign inthetask bar that you don't need running while burning and also go down your process list and stop anything not needed.

The last thing you want is some app waking up in the middle of your burn-data flow.

Thanks for your help. I tried another Sony disk with all other programs shut down. The result was perfect playback for the first 35 minutes then freezing every minute or so. I looked carefully at the burnt disks. There were rings (different shading) near the inside of the disk which freezes near the start and at the outer part of the burnt area on the disk which freezes nearer the end.

I tried a TDK disk instead and this worked fine all the way through. Will try more disks. Maybe the Sony disks aren't compatible with my TEAC writer or were just a bad batch.

I suspect that by the time we get around the compatibility problems of DVD writing to be like CD writing, as I haven't heard of any incompatibility issues for years, then those of us at the cutting edge will be writing to the holographic media I've been reading about.