Thread: How would I do this...

Default How would I do this...

I am not (yet) a Premier user, but maybe you can lead me in the right direction. I am a piano teacher and I plan to video tape an upcoming children's piano recital, but this year I want to get better sound quality. In previous years I would just use the audio recorded from the miniDV cam's tiny onboard microphone. This year I will have a nice microphone positioned near the piano strings so the audio will be recorded on a seperate track (the camcorder's mic will be turned off). So basically I need an editing program that will make it easy to line up audio to a video with absolute precision. I don't want something that will require trial and error. How smoothly does Premier do this? Or is it overkill for what I need? Maybe there's a product that is simple, affordable, but does a good job with what I need it for? Thanks in advance.

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by Julia Lewis View Post
    I am not (yet) a Premier user, but maybe you can lead me in the right direction. I am a piano teacher and I plan to video tape an upcoming children's piano recital, but this year I want to get better sound quality. In previous years I would just use the audio recorded from the miniDV cam's tiny onboard microphone. This year I will have a nice microphone positioned near the piano strings so the audio will be recorded on a seperate track (the camcorder's mic will be turned off). So basically I need an editing program that will make it easy to line up audio to a video with absolute precision. I don't want something that will require trial and error. How smoothly does Premier do this? Or is it overkill for what I need? Maybe there's a product that is simple, affordable, but does a good job with what I need it for? Thanks in advance.

Julia
    I believe the precision in lining things up in premiere pro will be as good as you need. However, it does nto contain any silver-bullet feature to auto line up audio with video. how could it. I tend to leave the camera mic running as well as external recording devices. that way when I place my video on the timeline I can clearly see the audio waveform as well. When I import the externally recorded waveform and drop it on another audio layer I can visually line up the two as closely as I need to. Once that's done you can turn off the audio linked with the video layer, or even link the new audio to the video so that if you ever move one you move both in sync.

Very succinct advice from Alan - and to answer the question about whether or not premiere might be overkill - I think it may be a little more sophisticated than what you need. There are even free demos for editors that have the functionality of multiple sound tracks and aligning them with video (Avid Xpress, I believe, has a free demo that has this functionality). There are most definitely more simple and affordable editors out there. Follow Alan's advice above and lining them up should be a snap.

At the risk of being old-fashioned:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARGE-FILM-CLA...em200080599253

(no seller endorsement intended)

Quote Originally Posted by bert6280 View Post
    At the risk of being old-fashioned:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARGE-FILM-CLA...em200080599253

(no seller endorsement intended)
    Which is exactly what I have - only I got mine as a souvenir from universal Studios. Still one of the best tools for the job though.