Thread: Re-stitching the video after splitting

Default Re-stitching the video after splitting

Since I'm a newbie in video editing, I'm not sure I'm using the right terminology, but I'll try my best. I have Vegas Platinum 7. In order to edit out the bad clips, I had to split the video. As an example, I cut out two sections of video so I have 3 sections in video left. In order to add a transition between #1 and #2, I have to drag #2 to overlap until the amount of time that I want the two sections to overlap. Let's say I don't want to add a transition between #2 and #3. When I drag #2 over the end of #1, #3 stays at its place. How do I re-attach #2 and #3 after cutting out the bad parts?

As far as I am aware that is not possible, unless you do an UNDO after a cut, but that is only taking you back one step.

You could highlight section two right click mouse and say open in trimmer and the highlighted bit should be in the trimmer, re adjust length and replace 2 & 3 with the new continuous clip. (I know this works in Vegas 7)

Footnote.
    You could delete three and stretch two over its place thus it is one again...
    Last edited by Z Cheema; 02-21-2007 at 11:02 PM.

As you have "removed" time between #2 and #3 how do you think you could re-attach?

You can't re-attach that which you have cut asunder by removing time?

Grouping: However, you can create a GROUP of #2 and #3. Then parts #2 and #3 would move as one.

Rendering: You could also render to a new track a "selection" of the #2 and #3 parts and substitute this render piece. You could also render #2 and #3. But what are doing is creating a new entity of #2 and #3 - you aint re-attaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    As you have "removed" time between #2 and #3 how do you think you could re-attach?

You can't re-attach that which you have cut asunder by removing time?

Grouping: However, you can create a GROUP of #2 and #3. Then parts #2 and #3 would move as one.

Rendering: You could also render to a new track a "selection" of the #2 and #3 parts and substitute this render piece. You could also render #2 and #3. But what are doing is creating a new entity of #2 and #3 - you aint re-attaching.
    Thank you. Grouping does what I want to do. As I said above, I was doubting myself about terminology that I use, re-attaching may not be the right word to use. All I want is to be able to move two segments with one mouse click. If I have quite a few of bad parts that I have to cut out, it would be too time consuming every time I have to more the several segments.

I'm pleased you have a solution. Good!

I don;t have Plat Vegas, I have V7. This has a Ripple edit. Does Plat? Anyways, ripple edit allows an editor to make edits and have ALL the project ripple backwards and then forwards again too. I use this very judiciously indeed! But it is a true time saver. Maybe you should contemplate the V7?

Along with the many MANY advantages of Vegas 7, this could be one that would further excite an editor to upgrade to Vegas 7.

Regards - g

I'm sorry but I don't understand the use of ripple edit. Can you explain more? Thanks.

Certainly.

"Auto Ripple" is a function WITHIN Vegas 7. It allows editors to insert and move an event in a way that "pushes" events further down away from, say, an insert and when needed, allows the editor to CUT out segments and have the SPACE created automatically close up. In essence, work that is further down stream from your point of editing, gets automatically pushed away OR brought nearer as you edit. For example, any SPACE you created between #1 and #2 would automatically be closed up. You would not need to move #2 towards #1.

It is an excellent feature of VEGAS 7, one of many MANY additional features within V7.

I'm guessing that as you have asked for further explanation, you may NOT have this in Vegas Platinum?

Have a look at Vegas 7!
    Last edited by Grazie; 02-23-2007 at 07:15 AM.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Actually, the one that I have is Platinum 7.0 that also includes the DVD authoring. I checked the online help and it does have the auto-ripple feature. I'll try it next time.