Thread: Hot Pixels

Default Hot Pixels

I've just noticed on my monitor screen there is a single pixel that is much brighter than the rest. I think it's called a 'hot pixel' and I was wondering if any of you knew how to fix it. Or can it be fixed? Is there some utility that can be downloaded to re-fire the pixel, it's just that it's in my eyeline and very noticeable. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

What type of display? LCD, CRT, Plasma? Try cleaning the surface first. Sometimes a hot spot is nothing more than debris on the surface. Other than that, maybe unplug the power cord in case it's a stuck transistor (LCD or Plasma). If a CRT, try to resize the display both with the display's controls and your video card's.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Thanks for the reply Crusty, it's a Proview 19 inch widescreen LCD monitor. It currently set at 1280 by 960, it can go up to 1440 by 1440 so I'll try resizing up to that and the other suggestions you made. I think I remember reading somewhere that there is a certain percentage of monitors that have this problem but the companies say it falls within their quality control levels, I don't know if this is true or not?

Oops sorry dunno how I double posted.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

What you have is a 'stuck' pixel, not 'dead'. Sometimes you can massage them back to life, just rub the screen by pressing a finger gently through a rag around the pixel. No guaranty but sometimes it works, LCD monitors are fairly fragile and easily scratched, so take it easy.

LCD screens have only one optimal resolution (the highest). If your screen is given for 1440 by 1440, don't try to use it at 1280 by 960.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Thanks yeebsy, I have tried the CPR approach on the pixel but no luck, it feels like I'm sticking my finger into jelly. So it's called a stuck pixel, wasn't too sure about what it was called but now that you've told me it's a stuck pixel, I'll remember it for future posts. I read on another forum a few nights ago it might be something to do with the graphic display card, was thinking about upgrading anyway to a dual head to run two monitors for editing, I hate all this scrolling back and forth and having to close and open windows again and again. I would crank up the resolution (I should have said 1440 by 960 - it actually gives two different settings one in the short instruction manual and a different one in Display->Settings->Advanced->Adapter->List all Modes) but it just makes everything so small and difficult to read onscreen - eyesight isn't what it used to be.