Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rally car video's

Default Rally car video's

Hi Everyone,

Havn't posted for a while but here's a vid of a track day I went to recently. Comments appreciated (good and bad).

http://www.livevideo.com/video/20ACA...track-day.aspx
    Visit my website at www.still-in-motion.co.uk

Blog Entries

Unfortunately your technical and artistic talents do not stand the test of your own scrutiny. You've critically commented on other peoples' videos before (including my own); for my 'home movie' you commented on the lack of 'denouement' (The final resolution or clarification of a dramatic or narrative plot), yet clearly this comment misses the intended goal of the video - to act as a memory of a particular event.

Ordinarily I would sit through almost any video featuring cars driven at silly speeds... but I turned off after a few minutes. For me the chosen music was inappropriate. It didn't lend itself to the material and added nothing to the overall experience. Would have been fine to use as an introduction, setting the scene, but not for the main content. Additionally your use of slow motion was at odds with the pace of the video and the static repeated angle of tracking the cars became tired quickly... which is when I switched off.

Why do I say this? You're charging 600 for wedding filming and are, by definition, a professional. This is at odds with the standard of work you've posted.

From your website:

Why not preserve your special day on video? By allowing us to film and create a professional production, you will have a permanent record of the first day of your married life!. In years to come, you will look back and not only see, but hear those friends and family that shared your day with you and made the day so memorable.Pricing is at 55 per hour plus any expenses. Broken down estimates provided.

Package prices start at 600 for a finished production including royalty free music, full titling and tasteful production.

Angry

Dear Marc,

I asked for comments on my video and not my personal business thanks very much. You have not seen my wedding video's and so your opinion on that subject is irrelevant.

Seems to me that you have a big problem accepting genuine and unpersonal criticism. I would suggest that don't invite criticism if you cannot take the bad with the good. You will also notice that I have made positive comments on those video's that I like.

If you want a cosy little site that only blows smoke up other peoples arses you're welcome.

I accept your views on my rally vids. Thanks.

But don't have a rant on me personally. That's abuse.

Blog Entries

Your site has no sample wedding videos on which I can comment. I therefore made an assessment of your aptitude based on the material you have made available. I think that's a fair to assessment to make. Feel free to post your professional work for assessment.

A cosy site? I like to think I've created an environment in which like minded professionals and amateurs can exchange ideas and learn more about video editing.

Yes, my work has recieved constructive critisism in the past, but you must appreciate that personal preference should be seperate from judgements of technical / creative ability. To this end each video should be judged within the correct context. Jackass, for example, is an oft imitated pioneer of a particular genre. It should not however be compared to serious documentary film making which by definition requires a different set of criteria against which it should be judged.

I have taken on board and developed though appraisal of my work. Without this peer review my standard of film making would not have improved. I mentioned your comments about my particular video not because I was reaching for the tissues at the thought of someone not liking my video, but because I believe you missed the point of the video entirely. This is compounded by the fact that the very points you raised on this video are the exact points that you should have considered when creating your rally video. In fact these points are more valid in the context of your video.

As a professional you should be accutely aware that you'll be judged on anything you make available.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I mentioned your comments about my particular video not because I was reaching for the tissues at the thought of someone not liking my video, but because I believe you missed the point of the video entirely.
    Yep - That's fair enough but why mention my comments on your video?

It's almost as if you've harboured a grudge for all this time and then you have the opportunity to vent.

As for my business, it's part time and I do OK with quite a few delighted customers. It is not for me to post material on the web without the permission of the new owner. I am not seeking any criticism on it in any case!

Sorry if my criticism of your video caused offence or irritation.

Blog Entries

If it were me, I would have started off with cars etc arriving, some scene building long shots of the entire place, guys prepping their cars before diving in to the driving. Similarly, I would have ended with perhaps the sun going down and cars leaving rather than the slo- mo stuff. I thought there was far too much slo mo and although you managed to find plenty of places to stand and the camera work was steady, it failed to ignite at any point. All a bit bland and un-inspring for my tastes. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Skodster View Post
    As for my business, it's part time and I do OK with quite a few delighted customers. It is not for me to post material on the web without the permission of the new owner.
    Within my own business we deal with mainly corporate clients. We dont ask them if we can showcase their videos on their site. We do wait untill after they have been distributed around the clients offices before we showcase them. If you want your business to grow you need samples.

Personally if i were looking for a wedding videographer i want to see samples. Seeing as you charge such low prices for your wedding vids the clients shoould expect for you to use their videos as samples. If you were charging proper professional rates THEN i would consider asking them for permission.

Quote Originally Posted by irishmark View Post
    Within my own business we deal with mainly corporate clients. We dont ask them if we can showcase their videos on their site. We do wait untill after they have been distributed around the clients offices before we showcase them. If you want your business to grow you need samples.

Personally if i were looking for a wedding videographer i want to see samples. Seeing as you charge such low prices for your wedding vids the clients shoould expect for you to use their videos as samples. If you were charging proper professional rates THEN i would consider asking them for permission.

Erm, I'm pretty sure it's borderline-illegal in a lot of countries to publish videos of people without their permission.
    It's not about what camera you use or how much it cost.

It's about what you shoot,
    how you shot it,
    and how you edit it :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Best_OutRunner View Post
    Erm, I'm pretty sure it's borderline-illegal in a lot of countries to publish videos of people without their permission.
    Copyright lies with the production company unless otherwise stated in the contract.

MY honist views-

First off, It needs a ton colour correction, it needs livening up other wise its extreamly boaring.
    Seccondly, It needs a fast beat ( club mix or somthing) and needs to be fastly paced. Not slow, Cos as many mebers said its lost their intrest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast