Thread: Something wierd happening to clips in bins

Default Something wierd happening to clips in bins

While using P6.5 to edit a project, everything was working fine. i had captured many clips, edited the timeline etc. i needed to capture some more clips, so opened up a new bin and started capturing. The clips captured fine and i carried on with the project. I need to reedit a few captured clips, which were in seperate bins and had been captured sometime before. This is where i noticed a problem! some of the old clips , still will original title and audio but with the video of the just recently captured clips. I checked some of my other bins and this had happened to some of the clips here aswell. Does anyone know why this has happened and or a way to retrieve the original video with having to recapture?

P4 1.7GHZ
    256MB
    NVIDEA GFORCE FX5600XT
    DV STORM CAPTURE CARD
    DSR 11 DV TAPE PLAYER/RECORDER.

Blog Entries

Never heard that one before! How do the clips play outside Premiere?

Very odd!

Remember that the items shown in the bin are justs shortcuts or pointers to the real video files which are in the folder you specified during capture. Check in your capture folder to see whats going on with your clips (they should be fine) and reimport them into premier if necessary.

In future you might wanna try capturing your footage to a folder but not adding them to the project window (bins) at the time of capture, import them all later (after capture) it might fix your glitch.

Tonga

Hi guys, thanks for replying, when i play the clips outside of premiere, the clips are the same, title and audio are original but the video is not. i do use a removable hard drive as my stratch disk and i do just put everything on the drive root and not in folders. do you think that with so many things going on the root rather that folders, somewhere along the line its getting a bit confused?

That's very strange!

I couldnt tell you whats going on here but it might be a good idea to capture to folders rather than root, use a seperate folder for each project.

Personally I capture and edit as seperate processes. First I start a project, capture all the footage want to a specified folder and save the capture logs. I then start a new project in which I'll edit and import my footage and organise it into bins based on scenes or subject. If you need to capture again open the capture project and continue. Seperating the capture/edit process prevents capture glitches affecting the rest of your project.

tonga

Well i suppose not all strange happenings in premiere can be explained, i will give your method of capturing and editing in different projects at try. Many thanks for your input guys.

Cheers!