Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please!!! I'm an absolute beginner too!

Default Help please!!! I'm an absolute beginner too!

Hi there,

thank you v. much in advance to the "good samaritan(s)" that will help me with this query. I want to buy a HDD camcorder with 30GBs as I want to start making homemade documentaries as well. I also have got a laptop where I want to mix images, music and my voice.

I want to mix them so that "at a certain part of the music correspond some images" (complete allignment). Do you know which software I would need pls? And do I need anything more apart for a DVD-recorder in order to create these sort of documentaries?

Thank you so much in anticipation good samaritan(s)!!!

Godfather

P.S.: I can always make a proposal you won't refuse!

Blog Entries

Well Godfather I dont want to get suffed so here is some advice.

Condisor not buying a hard drive camcorder for two reasons. Firstly they compress the video more resulting in a slightly less good picture and more importantly the video produced can be a pain to edit in many editors and even when you can edit it it may be slow and glitchy, the editor may be less responsive.

DV tape is a very reliable and mature format - to me it doesnt have any disadvantages except that it isnt the latest thing and salespeople often push the hard drive cameras - dunno why thay do this.

You will then need an editing program - if you have xp or a modern mac (I assume you have) then you have a free editor in the os capable of most basic editing functions.

Next there are value versions of full featured editors - 50 - 100.

Finally full on editors that would give you limitless tracks, lots of effects, flexible input and output options.

Try some for free, http://www.videoforums.co.uk/reviews...16_sectionid/3

Finally your laptop - not the best computer to use but ok if it is fast and modern. Editing needs power and space. You will probably need another drive for video storage.

I suggest you post the specs of the laptop to ensure it is up to the job.

Thank you v. much Mark W!

I have a Thinkpad T42 (it doesnt have a firewire) with "windows XP"
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebo...hinkPad-T42/p1

Would this be enough? Thank you for your suggestion on the camcorder. I'll buy the one you'll indicate...

...But I don't have a mac... Is the software you are suggesting me compatible with standard windows XP on intel based Laptop pls?

Thank you v. much

I agree with Mark, HDD cameras are compressed and lousy to edit. I use mini DV camcorders. If you do go for a mini DV camcorder (and I recommend you do) then a PC with no firewire port makes editting it a complete non-starter. get a laptop with a firewire port and or arrange for one to be added to PC you have or are getting.

As to s/w. XP comes with a free video editor called Windows movie Maker 2. I've never used it but it's supposed to work and will get you started. Next, as Mark explained, come the 'home' level editors and then you have the 'pro' ones. plenty of these have evaluation versions to download and try. Play and make up your own mind which you like.

Thank you v. much Alan!

Last question pls: is it ok if I use a PC-CARD converter to turn my PC-CARD slot into a firewire connection? Thanks

Blog Entries

That laptop has a 1.7gig pentium m and a 60 gig disc.

You will definitely need more drive space very soon and anyway it is best to keep video on a seperate drive.

* caveat * I have never edited on a laptop but the percieved wisdom is that they are not ideal - even a similarly specced d top is likely to perform much better. The one mentioned will be able to do video editing I am sure but I wouldnt drop the specs any lower.

Do you really have to have a laptop? If you get into editing you will need SPACE and POWER and that really means desk top?

Look at what you could get as a d top for the same money, proably a quad core processor, a 400 gig drive or 2, 2 gig of ram.... that would be a fantastic editing system and (guessing) up to ten TEN times faster than the laptop.

I know what i would do - unless I lived in a caravan or a tent it would be the d top every time.

This is a common thing for me to suggest - what about a cheap laptop for your portable needs and a fat d top for editng ?

Thank you Mark W but I've a bit of "budget restrictions" at the moment but I'll put a desktop PC in my "to buy" list... Do you think I would be able to perform some work with my laptop in the meantime in your opinion?

Thank you

Blog Entries

Yes - just more slowly. Anyone out there edit on a l top specced close to the one mentioned above?

Thank you Alan and Mark W, have a good weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Thank you Alan and Mark W, have a good weekend!
    Seems I've managed to avoid another horse's head this weekend anyway....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast