Thread: Many different videos, many different codecs.

Default Many different videos, many different codecs.

I have an archive of videos, and they're in many different codecs since they're not all mine (the ones that are mine are straight off my Z1U... no compression. The others are in all sorts of different formats), and I need a good codec to put them ALL into so I can get the file size down somewhat, but still keep all or almost all of the quality... while still being able to be used as source files by PPro 1.5.

What should I convert them to? divx? xvid? something else?

Blog Entries

I would suggest not doing this but buy another drive instead.

Any compression will lose quality and make the files much more processor intensive to edit with random glitches likely.

I dont mean to sound obtuse but storage space is so cheap now that that may be the best option, and it would avoid a zillion hours of work on the pc compressing everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I would suggest not doing this but buy another drive instead.

Any compression will lose quality and make the files much more processor intensive to edit with random glitches likely.

I dont mean to sound obtuse but storage space is so cheap now that that may be the best option, and it would avoid a zillion hours of work on the pc compressing everything.
    Hmmm... fair enough, but many of the videos are already compressed, so I at least need to put those all into one format.

Even though I am not a computer idiot, I'm afraid there is much I don't understand about video. :( I'm really not familiar with encoding... I understand what it is, but am not well-versed in the different forms of video. In fact, while I understand that .mov is quicktime and things like .wmv, .avi, .mpg, .asf are associated with Windows Media Player by default, I do not know how things like .wmv, .avi, and .asf differ. I thought .asf was video that was streamed from the net, but I have one video that is .asf and is not a steam -- the entire thing is on my harddrive and all contained within one file.

Anyways...

#1 I would like to put these videos that are not mine all in one format, even if it is uncompressed, so what would you suggest for that? avi?

#2 What program can put assorted files into this format?

#3 If I cannot compress them, I should at least splice them up. For instance, one of my sources is video from Beyond TV. I could at least cut the commercials out... Is there a way to splice the video without having to spend 30 minutes doing a video export?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by knowyouremeny; 02-15-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

AVI is the most universal format for video. It supports one video stream and one audio stream.

Virtualdub can usually produce uncompressed AVIs if you allready have the codecs installed to view your videos. It can also produce compressed video and audio AVIs, if you have the codecs.

The only compression format that wouldn't result in more compresion distoriion is one that employs zero-loss. HUFFYUV is one, there are others. None of them compress very much, perhaps on the order of 4:1.

DV is a lossy compression but adds very little distortion and compresses better than 4:1 . It can only be used on video that has a certain frame size though. 720x480 and 720x576 work fine. Other commonly encountered web video sizes like 320x240 or 352x288 may not.

All other compression formats will add substantial distortion to the distortion allready present in previously compressed video.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70