Thread: Does Pinnacle capture from a VHS player?

1. Default Does Pinnacle capture from a VHS player?

I went onto the Pinnacle forum to say, “I have just fired up Pinnacle and read page 18 of the manual, "To select a capture device" but I can not work out how to actually find a way to connect with my VHS player.”

I received a reply saying, “To capture from an analogue source such as VHS, you need a capture device that converts from analogue to digital.”

There is a set of cables connected to a scart converter connected to the VHS player which runs into a four socket device with a cable that runs to the video card or what ever it’s called at the back of my computer and I thought that’s all that was needed.

Blog Entries

There's quite a few areas that could be causing the problem. Please answer the following questions to help isolate the issue:

1) What is the make and model of your graphics card?
    2) It needs to be VIVO (Video In - Video Out) and you need the relevant drivers installed for this to work. What drivers have you installed in addition to the VGA drivers?
    3) Is the SCART lead video out from your VCR? (Some SCART leads only work in one direction).
    4) What is the colour of the video out connector that you've atatched to the PC.
    5) Does your "four socket device" feed a valid signal to an alternate source such as a TV?

3. Default

Looking at he make and model of my graphics card on my invoice I find that it is a All-in-Wonder 9800 series.

You say that the graphics card needs to be VIVO (Video In - Video Out). I looked at the colourer picture that Mesh gave me of the back of the computer and it reads, "A/V in to purple break out box." Does that mean that I need to change the card?

You say that I need the relevant drivers installed for this to work and ask "what drivers have you installed in addition to the VGA drivers?" Firstly I have to say that I am a novice with computers and I don’t know what you mean by, "AVG driver.". The computer has just come back from being looked at because it kept crashing when I tried to use some AVI software. The technician updated the ATI software only to find that it kept crashing so he reverted back to the old disc so I guess I could say that is the only new driver.

You ask, "Is the SCART lead video out from your VCR? (Some SCART leads only work in one direction)." I looked at the scart socket that goes into the VHS player and there was a switch, "Input Output". I put it to output and a picture then came up when I turned studio on.

However, this did not work for long.
    I turned Studio Plus 10 on and a picture from the VHS player appeared. I pressed, “Capture” and the Capture video box came up. I then pressed “Capture” and the picture disappeared.

You ask, “What is the colour of the video out connector that you've attached to the PC.” There is a purple box with a purple cable that runs to the computer. I have placed four cables in it. Yellow = Video. Black= S Video. Red = Audio. Black = Audio.

You ask, “Does your "four socket device" feed a valid signal to an alternate source such as a TV?” I’m not sure this matters now as I have managed to get a picture from the VHS player to the computer even if it doesn’t stay there.

4. Default

I have used my ATI software to capture the film from a VHS player connected to the computer but can not work out how to get Pinnacle to accept it.

First thing get ride of the composit Video cable. The S-Video is better and you cant use both at the sae time. Then go into the settings and make sure you have it set to the right capture devise. I believe its ATI Rage or T200 or something like that.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

6. Default

Right, I’ve cracked the capture thing primarily as a result of someone telling me which ATI driver to download. I then managed to connect the VCR up correctly and as the VHS tape played I got vision and audio.
    I then started to learn how to edit Pinnacle Studio 10.6 getting into transitions, titles and split screens if that’s the correct term. I finished the first project but as I had made a number of bad decisions I deleted it and then started all over again.
    The next morning I found the following message on my screen,” MOM. Implementation, Version=2.02589,34834, Culture-neutral,Publickey Token=90ba9c70f846762e or one of its dependencies.”
    Not having the faintest idea what it meant I pressed, “OK” and it disappeared and all seemed well and I started to work on the new project. It all started as before but when I had got half way through the first clip I lost audio and I can’t work out what I need to do to get it back because I need the audio as it has conversations in it that I want to use as cribs for titles.