Thread: Would like to offer my services

Default Would like to offer my services

Hi all,

I'd like to offer my services free of charge to anyone interested. ... I would dearly love to work with someone as a soundtrack artist, or film scorer or whatever the official term is!

I have a deep love of music and can draw on experience from any genre. The inspiration for my work is T Bone Burnett ... if I can get any where NEAR his level I'll be happy!

I have a small amount of video editing experience, and I have done a little film scoring before but would like to start doing it more (I'd love to make a living doing it but I don't think that's going to happen!), anyone interested please get in touch via PM, the forum or email.

Thanks,

andy

Are you a musician or a lyricist? Why don't you put together a demo disc, either CD or a DVD of the films you have worked on and send it to the various production companies. I would start with the smaller lesser known companies and not bother with the likes of the BBC just yet, assuming you are living in the UK. If your work is good enough, if it stands out from the thousands of other hopefuls and you can list some previous clients then you might stand the chance of being called for an interview, but you really need to put together a demo disc of either your music, song writing ability, scoring ability or whatever your strongest talents are onto a CD or clips from the movies you've worked on with the accompanying music you created, not the work someone else created and you put it on the film for them. Post it off with a resume and see what happens, do you have a website publicising your talents? Do you have a company name or brand name you can use if business takes off?

Blog Entries

Hi Andy...

Welcome to Videoforums and... Do you have a website or somewhere we can hear your work? Bearing in mind that most of us have never heard of "T Bone Burnett " it would be cool if we could hear what you're offering.

Blog Entries

"T Bone Burnett " - I know what that is, it's a well done steak.

Seroiusly tho - if you are good pimp yourself about as suggested. I am currently trying to drag myself away from knee jerk video making and trying to do more well executed work that would need original music. Original video is a cinch but the music is more of a challenge unless you are a genius, and I am not....

I am lucky cos I do have a friend who is a composer chap.

And also place an ad in the various trade magazines both for film and music production, you can't beat a bit of blowing your own trumpet.

Blog Entries

and most important... If you place an advert or post on a forum, come back to check on what's happened.

Heh heh yes, sorry I've been away on holiday, I only just got back ...

Thanks ever so much for all your replies, it's been a real help reading what I should do next, I think I'll have to create a webpage.

I am not a composer, the work I have done in the past has been simply "the work someone else created and you put it on the film for them" unfortunately. I posted on this forum to see if anyone wanted me to work with them to score their work using commercial songs, maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.

andy

Oh, here's the wikipedia page for T Bone Burnett for anyone interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Bone_Burnett

Quote Originally Posted by clarkwgriswold View Post
    I posted on this forum to see if anyone wanted me to work with them to score their work using commercial songs, maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.
    Aren't film scores usually composed for the film? *sigh*

One of my pet peeves... people who think they're great because they can take somebody elses music, and put it on somebody elses image. Esp. those who then offer their 'scoring' services to others.
    Anyone with basic video editting software can do that in a few mins.

Basically, you mean "soundtrack" not "score", and all you'd technically be doing is choosing the music, not creating it.

Sorry to sound harsh, but there are too many people out there who claim to be something they're not, and it winds me up. Again I was interested, but let down. I only use real musicians/artists to create music for my clients/work.

Blog Entries

Oh clarkwgriswold...

Putting pre-recorded music to images is the easiest, and most enjoyable, part of editing.
    On this site you've basically asked "Once you guys have done all the hard work, would you mind if I did the best bit? and then left you to do more hard work."

If you walked into any broadcaster and asked the editors what they most enjoyed doing, it's the "promos" where they select the best pics from a drama, sports show or suchlike, select a piece of music which fits, and then spend a few happy hours putting the two together.

What you're doing is called "cherry picking". Show us what you can do then maybe, just maybe, you'll get a result.

Edit: BTW leaving two weeks between posting your question and looking at the answers isn't going to endear you to the forum.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 03-06-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Aaah right, so the editor is generally the person that chooses the music.

That's what I feared ... in my (admittedly limited) experience the few editors I have worked with haven't had the most widespread knowledge of music, and tended to put the same type of music (eg electro) to each and every video they create. This is where I hoped to step in and maybe open their eyes to different musical styles they hadn't even considered.

Edit: BTW leaving two weeks between posting your question and looking at the answers isn't going to endear you to the forum.
    Like I said, I went away on holiday for two weeks at short notice ... I'm sorry if I inadvertently offended anyone.