Thread: no sound, pixel artefacts

Default no sound, pixel artefacts

i have three problems capturing HDV pal from sony HDR-HC1E handicam to premiere pro1.5 using winxp asus p4c800e mb, 3.0 ghz processor, 1 gb ram, 256 mb vid card to maxtor 300gb external drive

1. captures without sound
    2 often, especially on longer clips and toward the end, comes with occasional pixelly broken-image flaws in just part of the image, that drag across multiple frames and sometimes become a kind of pox over much of the image
    3 capture is crashing the machine. on reboot, boot sticks at detect device 001 or somesuch. i turn off the external hdd at this point to re-reboot. error message; '...has recovered from a serious error. send/don't send to windows'

the pixel flaws are frequent and have been happening from the beginning of the project.
    the no sound prob is new. it affects both manual and batch captures.
    the crash thing is new as well, but has also been happening with audition editing guidetrack voiceover files of between 2000 and 12000kb, most around 5 or 6.

any advice would be much appreciated
    Last edited by 5_10Hz; 02-14-2007 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5_10Hz View Post
    i have three problems capturing HDV pal from sony HDR-HC1E handicam to premiere pro1.5 using winxp asus p4c800e mb, 3.0 ghz processor, 1 gb ram, 256 mb vid card to maxtor 300gb external drive

1. captures without sound
    2 often, especially on longer clips and toward the end, comes with occasional pixelly broken-image flaws in just part of the image, that drag across multiple frames and sometimes become a kind of pox over much of the image
    3 capture is crashing the machine. on reboot, boot sticks at detect device 001 or somesuch. i turn off the external hdd at this point to re-reboot. error message; '...has recovered from a serious error. send/don't send to windows'

the pixel flaws are frequent and have been happening from the beginning of the project.
    the no sound prob is new. it affects both manual and batch captures.
    the crash thing is new as well, but has also been happening with audition editing guidetrack voiceover files of between 2000 and 12000kb, most around 5 or 6.

any advice would be much appreciated
    Firstly, did you apply the patch to Premiere Pro 1.5? The patch is a prerequisite to editting HDV.

Secondly, try capturing to an internal hard drive. It may simply be a case of the external drive being unable to sustain the required bitrate. Is it USB or firewire? Adobe do not support external drives at all - last I checked.

Default the patch

what is 'the patch'? if you are referring to the cineform aspect thing, i have that

the external drive is usb. i'll capture to the internal. thankyou for that advice.
    Last edited by 5_10Hz; 02-15-2007 at 02:04 AM. Reason: want to add more info

what is 'the patch'? if you are referring to the cineform aspect thing, i have that
    yes that was what I was getting at. As I recall it installs as a patch to 1.5.1 though unless of course you bought Apsect HD v3.x which would be a much better way to go.

the external drive is usb. i'll capture to the internal. thankyou for that advice.
    might well be the problem. Although USB has a high enough bandwidth it is not generally sustainable for any length of time.

Let us know how it goes ok?

Default problem mostly gone

it was to do with speed of data transfer i'm sure. the 300gb external drive was nearly full. got a new 750 one, stuck it straight on the mobo and no probs most of the time. same thing can happen on v long clips, but rare. i think i just need a stronger machine.