Thread: Video Production Equipment Checklist

Default Video Production Equipment Checklist

Use this checklist as you gather up the gear to shoot and produce your 'How-To' DVD. Covers just about everything you need from camcorder to gaffer's tape.

When I'm preparing to shoot a 'how to' video, part of the process involves making sure I have all the equipment I need to shoot each video, before I start.

I know from experience how a single missing cable or a dead battery can ruin a day of shooting.

To reduce the chances of a interrupted shoot, I've prepared a video equipment checklist. Check it out below.

Video Production Equipment Checklist Here's my list of basic equipment needed to shoot a 'How-To' DVD.

Camcorder - miniDV format with microphone input.

Blank MiniDV tapes - Panasonic, Maxell or Sony. Always have 3 blank tapes ready.

Extra Camcorder batteries
    - always have 3 extras.

Neutral Density Filter for camcorder lens
    - reduces light reflections from glasses.

Second Camcorder - (optional) to record from computer screens and to use to rewind tapes, and to shoot in places where you don't want to risk main camcorder.

Wired Lavalier Microphone - If budget allows, get a second lavalier as a backup.

Extra batteries for Lavalier microphone
    - you'll need them at the worst moment. Having spares can save the shoot.

Lavalier microphone extension cable - at least 20 feet.

Camera connection adaptors for lavalier microphone
    - either mono to stereo or stereo to mono, depending on camcorder and microphone.

Camera Tripod
    - sturdy enough to securely hold camcorder. Don't get a lightweight tripod.

Video Lights
    - get 2, three head, floor lamps with a total of 6, 150 watt daylight florescent screen in bulbs, and two overhead 'hair' lights with 30 watt daylight florescent bulbs.

Extra Light bulbs
    - Have a replacement bulb for each wattage of lights used. Don't let a blown light ruin a day of shooting.

Headphones
    - if camcorder has headphone jack, using headphones can help check audio levels while recording.

Preview Monitor
    - use a 14" TV monitor to view output from camcorder while recording. Will help you catch problems, adjust the set, and insure that things look good.

Cables to connect preview monitor to camcorder
    - standard audio/video component cables.

Power extension cords, surge protectors - when shooting video, you will always need extension cords for the lights and camcorder, and will want to use a surge protector on the camcorder.

4 pin to 6 pin firewire cables
    - used to connect camcorder to computer. Get a 5', a 10', and a 20' cable.

Gaffer's or Painter's tape
    - use to tape all wires and cables to the carpet or floor.

Small erasable white board
    - use to write presenters outline notes before each scene. Place immediately below camera so presenter can refer to during presentation.

Duffle bags, pelican cases
    - use to store camera, tripod and accessories between shoots.

Blog Entries

Moved from guides and reviews as clearly pimping the link first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Moved from guides and reviews as clearly pimping the link first and foremost.
    Hey Mark,

Nope, it's no good. I still have no idea what you are talking about! Isn't this post a guide? What does 'pimping the link' mean in plain English again?

Pete

Blog Entries

Pimping The Link means the motivation for the post is not purely altruistic. What you're doing is promoting your own website (and a product at almost $300) under the guise of a guide.
    The move is correct. If you had not included the link, he wouldn't have moved it.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 02-14-2007 at 12:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Yes - no commercial link would have ensured it would have stayed in guides. This section exists to ensure the other sections do not become clogged up with posts that are clearly commercialy motivated. Nothing wrong with commercials but this is the place for them, preferably with interests declared.

If you would prefer it in guides feel free to request a move back with the commercial link removed, I would be happy to oblige.