Thread: Glitches on the DVD footage?

Default Glitches on the DVD footage?

Hi everyone!

I'm a new guy to the forums, so if this question is in the wrong area, or it's been answered already, I apologize, and feel free to move this to where it belongs in the forum.

The Background
    I've started a videography business for weddings and other events almost two years ago. A recent problem has come up among a majority of my latest clients...

The problem
    Sometimes video will play fine on the DVD players I test with, but when CLIENTS look at the DVD's/ the DVD's will stop playing/ the music and footage will "catch"/ glitch - and we see little green squares in the footage.

At other times, when we play the same DVD again, the green squares will show up in slightly different places, but they always show on DVD.

The questions
    1) I'm thinking this is a DVD disk problem, as the footage plays correctly on my computer, and can even play fine on my DVD player (though recently, my DVD players are showing the same problem.

We've cleaned the DVD's, and cleaned the actual players countless times, and it doesn't seem to clear up any issue. I know the footage is good, as I look through it before burning several times.

2) However, could this be a problem with process of conversion to DVD? (I use I-DVD)

Sometimes a client will find that after only one or two viewings, (in which the footage will play fine) the DVD's will start doing this. And the clients are starting to complain that this is happening at a constant basis now.

If you need any technical specifications, let me know, and I will try to provide answers.

I use the Memorex DVD-R's that hold 4.6 gigs of info. (so it would be a DVD-R, single side, single layer burning system that I would have to burn footage to).

I'm looking into getting better quality DVD's for burning.

Any tips on good brands and companies that won't give you these glitches?

I would invest a little money in a new DVD burner to see if that helps.

You may not be aware but DVD burners do "wear out". My experience of this is very slow burn times. I beleive that teh laser sort of loses its edge over time giving poorer and poorer burns and so taking longer to get to what it believes is a 'good' burn.

Don't know where you are but over here in UK a state of the art DVD burner will cost of the order of 20 UK pounds. At that price you might just as well upgrade. It will almost certainly give my better burn times and might fix your problem.

Or, you may just be suffering from a bad batch of DVD media or a simple incompatibillity between media and player.

Anyone else have any ideas on this?

This is unusual. Whenever i create a DVD i have 7 diffrent DVD devices i test them all on. 2 diffrent DVD PLayers, an Xbox, a PLaystation, and 2 DVD drives in 2 diffrent PCs.

Its a long process but essential.

You say you are using I-DVD, is that the Mac I-DVD?

It could be one of several things.

• The DVD's themselves, this is unlikely though as usually DVD disc uncompatibility usually results in the Disc not being recognised by the player and not playing at all.
    • The Burner - As Alan suggested they have a life span which you pay have used up. Pioneer and Sony drives are the most reliable burners.
    • The Authoring software. I-DVD (if its the Mac one) is a consumer level package. Maybe you should consider purchasing a better application.
    • The Editing package - for the same reasons as the DVD package. What are you using for editing?
    • How are you burning your discs? Depending on this process could dictate the result.

Hi there.

Actually, Alan and Irishmark were both correct. It was apparently the DVD burner. So I bought a new one, and so far, knock on wood, there hasn't been a problem. The newly burned DVD's seem to be playing great on my 3 DVD players that I always test things on, so I think I'm good for a little while.

But, time and client satisfaction will tell.

Thank you very much for your ideas and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Quicksilver View Post
    Hi there.

Alan and Irishmark were both correct.
    It has to be said. We are legends indeed!

Mark. high five!

That said though, it's unlikley that the software used for burning the DVDs is going to have any affect on the quality of burn if they are burned at the same speed on the same drive.

an 0 is an 0 and a 1 is a 1 regardless of who's burning it
    It's not about what camera you use or how much it cost.

It's about what you shoot,
    how you shot it,
    and how you edit it :P

Also.. Clients DVD players can also be the issue depending on it's age and software.

Good to see a fellow mac user though I was starting to feel alone