Thread: Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 export help needed!

Default Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 export help needed!

Hi there,

Have been trying to export an .avi file of a 30 minute video to an external hard drive but it always stops and tells me about 70% of the way through that the disk is full. However, this is a brand new external drive! It has 40 GB's free and the avi only comes to 6!

I've gone through my computer and clicked 'disk cleanup' which directs me to uninstall or remove programs to clear memory, yet this seems to have no effect on the export process. The same thing happens if I save the file to my computer then copy it into the drive from there.

I know in After Effects there is a way to purge RAM as it renders so that the memory being used and the render don't overlap so to speak - whether I need to do something similar here I don't know.....

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Si_Pearce View Post
    Hi there,

Have been trying to export an .avi file of a 30 minute video to an external hard drive but it always stops and tells me about 70% of the way through that the disk is full. However, this is a brand new external drive! It has 40 GB's free and the avi only comes to 6!

I've gone through my computer and clicked 'disk cleanup' which directs me to uninstall or remove programs to clear memory, yet this seems to have no effect on the export process. The same thing happens if I save the file to my computer then copy it into the drive from there.

I know in After Effects there is a way to purge RAM as it renders so that the memory being used and the render don't overlap so to speak - whether I need to do something similar here I don't know.....

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

How is your external disk formatted. In windows exploreree, right click onthe drive and choose 'Properties'. Does it say NTFS or FAT32? If it says FAT32 then that is almost certainly your problem. FAT32 has a max file size limit that you are likely hitting. You woul dneed to move everythingoff the external drive and reformat it to NTFS where you will have no such limits, then move everything back.

Also, as much as it shouldn't really be an issue, aty last count Adobe did not suppoer external drives for any if its s/w. Just somethign to be aware of if you ever have to phone them for support.

Thanks for the speedy reply, but I just checked and it is in fact NTFS.....

Thanks for the speedy reply, but I just checked and it is in fact NTFS.....
    OK that's good. Have you tried defragging the disk? Also, do try the export to an internal drive to see if it does make a difference.

but be warned, having 40 Gb of free disk space is next to nothing for video edditting.

Yes, I can save it to my videos folder no problem, but again to try going from there to the drive has the same problem. What I have just done actually, even though it's not ideal, is divide the 30 minute movie into two 15 minute segments - and saving them one at a time onto the drive has worked with no problems at all - don't know if that gives you any clues at all?

Yes, I can save it to my videos folder no problem, but again to try going from there to the drive has the same problem. What I have just done actually, even though it's not ideal, is divide the 30 minute movie into two 15 minute segments - and saving them one at a time onto the drive has worked with no problems at all - don't know if that gives you any clues at all?
    Ok so the issue is not really a Premiere issue at all. Must be something to do with your external drive setup if you can save your large clip to internal drive and then cannot even simply copy it over. If you hadn;t told me otherwise I would still be saying it must be a FAT32 type issue.

What size is the single big file you can't copy over? Can you show a screenshot of the properties tab of you external hard drive and/or give all stats. Total space, free space, format type etc etc.