Thread: Copyright - how much trouble would I be in...

Default Copyright - how much trouble would I be in...

I videod a public lecture recently, where the professor showed some clips from CNN and BBC where he had appeared being interviewd. About 2-3 mins each

So if I make the 60min lecture video available for download, realistically, how much trouble would I be in?

Blog Entries

A lot. (Potentially)

It doesn't matter how you phrase the question, the answer's always the same. The rights to any material remain with the "author" (for various periods depending on factors such as the type of media and so on) and, in this case, the copyright to the clips is owned by the BBC and CNN. The copyright to the lecture belongs to the Prof (or the institution, depends how he was paid). A minefield unless you were commisioned by the Prof to record it.

The broadcasters probably gave the Prof permission to use the clips in his lecture (or probably not, acedemics tend to be rather arrogant when it comes to using other people's work) but that doesn't mean that you can use it (even on his behalf)

Any question long the line of "but what does it really mean in practice?" is a bit like "can I drink and drive?". The answer is "legally no." but as to what your chances of getting caught are, what your punishment might be or what gear you might have confiscated... nobody can say. You might be lucky... or you might not.
    I'm not going so suggest that the BBC or CNN won't care about this case because then, when you get your computer, camcorder and gear confiscated and a thousand quid fine, I don't want you to say "but on videoforums someone said..."

If you keep asking, at some point or other, you will find a saloon-bar lawyer to say "it's okay do it." (usually quoting some quasi-legalese like "in the public domain" or suchlike urban myths) but then, he won't be the one standing in the county court with a whacking great invoice from FACT, watching his computer gear being taken by baliffs...
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 02-11-2007 at 03:14 PM.

The copyright which exists in all kinds of "publications" ranging from books to videos to film to TV programmes is easy to infringe, as the Guru says.

If you take a look at the User Video thread contributed by "Rollingstock", there's a fascinating example. He doesn't think he'd doing anything wrong, but back in the days when dear old Britt Allcroft owned the TtheTE rights, she'd have had his kidneys on a plate!

If the current rights owners, Hit Entertainment, fancied him, they could certainly take a very large bite out of him . . . but their target kid market won't see this until they're out of the age range, so they wouldn't bother. If he got a broadcast showing it would be very different!
    I try to make someone happy every day - but it may not be your turn today . . .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I videod a public lecture recently, where the professor showed some clips from CNN and BBC where he had appeared being interviewd. About 2-3 mins each

So if I make the 60min lecture video available for download, realistically, how much trouble would I be in?
    The same amount of trouble as the first time you posted a similar question.

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...copyright.html

LOL - I'd forgotten I asked that "theorhetical" question I'm not in the habit of ripping off other peoples work But I thought if i gave more information, this is for genuine non-profit educational use, that there maybe "fair use" might come into it. The video above is commercial.

OK.... I suppose I'd better try my best to get permission. It's for educational purposes only, so I guess there is a chance I might get permission.

I just cannot, for the life of me, find any info on the CNN or BBC websites about this...

Really, it's no skin off my nose. I'm just doing it as a favour and if there's any chance of any repercussion, I'll just tell them they shouldn't do it, and they wont.
    Last edited by Rob; 02-11-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Cool

He's on the ball, that Marc, isn't he?
    I try to make someone happy every day - but it may not be your turn today . . .