Thread: Help - need to make 1 little change to DVD!

Default Help - need to make 1 little change to DVD!

Very entry level question, but here it goes...

My company has put together a very basic training DVD. It's about 1.5 hrs long, has a menu divided into 3 chapters, has a few basic titles and the rest is just exam footage. The problem is, throughout the recordings of the exam footage, the examinee's ID number is displayed on screen. We just need to put a gray bar over the ID number whenever it appears throughout the DVD. Someone tried to do this at home, but didn't have sufficient resources. This is where I come in.

I have a really good workstation (top of the line Dell 690) and the latest Adobe Video Suite. I've only worked with raw footage in Premiere so far and took a few tutorials in EncoreDVD. I'm trying to figure out the steps of what I need to do to block out the ID and redo the DVD.

Someone else put the DVD together, so I don't have the raw footage, titles, or the menu files - just what's on the DVD. DO I have to rip the footage from the DVD, add a layer for the gray bar, and export the footage by chapter to .avi files? Then do I have to put it all together and redo the menu in EncoreDVD and export the final project to DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by m2k View Post
    Very entry level question, but here it goes...

My company has put together a very basic training DVD. It's about 1.5 hrs long, has a menu divided into 3 chapters, has a few basic titles and the rest is just exam footage. The problem is, throughout the recordings of the exam footage, the examinee's ID number is displayed on screen. We just need to put a gray bar over the ID number whenever it appears throughout the DVD. Someone tried to do this at home, but didn't have sufficient resources. This is where I come in.

I have a really good workstation (top of the line Dell 690) and the latest Adobe Video Suite. I've only worked with raw footage in Premiere so far and took a few tutorials in EncoreDVD. I'm trying to figure out the steps of what I need to do to block out the ID and redo the DVD.

Someone else put the DVD together, so I don't have the raw footage, titles, or the menu files - just what's on the DVD. DO I have to rip the footage from the DVD, add a layer for the gray bar, and export the footage by chapter to .avi files? Then do I have to put it all together and redo the menu in EncoreDVD and export the final project to DVD?
    By far the best option is to gain access to the original footage and projects, tweak them at the appropriate stage and redo the next steps. Even if this costs money it's a better option otherwise you will have to , as you say, convert the footage from the MPEG2 (compressed) copy on the disk, edit that, build the menus again from scratch and re do the DVD. This will all take time and time is likely your biggest cost here. Not to mention you will lose quality - maybe not much but you will lose quality.

BTW, if 'your company' put the DVD together then why do you not automatically have access to the original footage and projects? If they own the rights I would expect them to have the originals if they don't then you may find you are effectively ripping someones else's DVD illegally if you stick to your plan. Something to consider.

Sorry. By "put together" I meant "outsourced". I wasn't in on the initial project, but I know they've gotten quotes of around $5K to do this. I'm guessing that's because - without the original footage - they would have to go through this long process that you mentioned...

Quote Originally Posted by m2k View Post
    Sorry. By "put together" I meant "outsourced". I wasn't in on the initial project, but I know they've gotten quotes of around $5K to do this. I'm guessing that's because - without the original footage - they would have to go through this long process that you mentioned...
    Why not ask the 'outsourcing' company? They may still have the original files on storage. Also, if it was outsourced to an external co, then they will def have the copyright, so what you suggest sounds somewhat illegal - I would check to keep yourself legal. Also, $5k sounds way over the top to me.....

If it sounded legal, I may have offered my services...........

Steve
    Last edited by steve burke; 02-09-2007 at 09:25 PM.