Thread: FFDShow...who needs it??

Default FFDShow...who needs it??

Basics; FFDSHOW is a DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing DivX, XviD, WMV, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 movies. It uses libavcodec from ffmpeg project for video decompression, postprocessing code from mplayer to enhance visual quality of low bitrate movies, and is based on original DirectShow filter from XviD, which is GPL'ed educational implementation of MPEG4 encoder.

I currently just make backups of DVDs, and soon will get back to saving many hours of VHS family tapes to discs (mpeg2 DVD most likely) I do not watch movies on computer. Is FFDShow anything for me?

Blog Entries

For encoding, no. For playback, yes.

I've installed FFDshow. My first post "Who Needs It" was meant to be to the point way of indicating I'm uncertain of its purpose, point, etc. I've clicked on all tabs and explored options. I have no idea what to do next. Has it replaced other codecs? Do I need to tell it to do that, and which? Lost as can be here.
    AMD Athlon 2Gig / XP Home / 512 Ram / ATI All-In-Wonder-9k-64M / 2 80G Drives

Blog Entries

If memory serves me correctly, it enables you to choose what decompressor is used for video encodeded with certain codecs. This forces divx to be decompressed using libavcodec for example. It's useful if you're having performance issues as apparently some decompressors are less resource hungry than others.

Strictly speaking, you don't need to use it if you're happy with your existing playback performance. IMHO, it's more for those that want to tweak away...

I've added system specs to profile...."signature" I think. Why is it not showing, I dont know.
    AMD Athlon 2Gig / XP Home / 512 Ram / ATI All-In-Wonder-9k-64M / 2 80G Drives

Blog Entries

Cool, I wrote that about system specs as I'd written "please post specs etc" for the nth time on a day.