Thread: Which mic???

Default Which mic???

Hello there guru's,

I'm in the market for an external Mic for two purposes...
    Looked around but am finding it hard to find answers.

I need to be able to use it as a mic attached to my camera [dvx100 with XLR] as a better mic [shotgun-ish].

It would also be very useful if I could use the same mic as a hand-held [terry wogan on blamkety-blank style] for a presenter.

If anyone knows of something economicla that will fit the bill, please let me know, I don't have a massive budget [100 top].

thanks,
    Last edited by DoubleHigh; 02-07-2007 at 12:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Terry Wogan style - hee, I often use my sony s gun as a h held mic - more truncheon than Wogan...

One commonly cited in your budget is the rode video mic but it can only really be used camera mounted and I think they are let down by the pointless and shoddy suspension system. Mine dissapoints when it comes to sound but i suspect mine is faulty, I dont own any kid gloves.

The sen 300 is often reccomended (about 130 new) and it can be h held and to me it looks 'proper'. I was thinknig of replacing my rode with one.
    Last edited by Mark W; 02-07-2007 at 01:20 AM.

Blog Entries

You're trying to do two things with one microphone.

The phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" applies to microphones as well! I would suggest that you go for a good hypercardiod microphone rather than a "general purpose" video microphone such as the 300 (which is over-rated in my opinion).

If you make 100 your limit, then you might as well stay with the mic on your camera. You ain't gonna get anything decent for that price. The Audio Technica ATM33A is not bad tho'

Think seriously about the K6 series from Sennheiser, or something from Audio Technica such as the AT815 B or the AT897. If you're willing to go to the 300 mark, then you start to get in the range of some seriously good value for money microphones.

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.n...microphones_k6

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bi...nes%3A+Shotgun

Edit: I know microphones aren't as "sexy" as some video gear and the prices can seem a bit daunting. I also realise that cost is a major factor but buying a cheap microphone really is a waste of money. Far better to wait a bit and get something where you'll really notice the upgrade.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 02-07-2007 at 02:50 PM.

Blog Entries

I think mics are sexy - am I weird ?

As Guru suggests and imho it really is worth getting a decent mic. Once you use a good mic you realise how important good sound is.