Thread: 8MM to Digital- Advice getting started?

Default 8MM to Digital- Advice getting started?

Hello, this is my first visit and first post.

After 15 years of shooting Hi 8mm I would like to copy & edit my tapes onto a digital format, eventually getting them on to DVDs. I have no idea how to go about this. Do I need digital editing hardware? Software? Both? I would rather grow in to something fairly nice than grow out of something cheap, yet still would like something fairly simple and intuitive too use.

Not sure if it you need this info, but I have a new high end Dell XPS Desktop with XP Media Edition that is fairly loaded (mainly a gaming computer). CD ROM & DVD + RW. Radeon X1900 Card, plenty of power storage and It has something called "Windows Movie Maker" that came installed for editing digital video.

Can I use my PC for editing? How do I get the 8mm to digital? What Software or Hardware do I need to purchase?

Any suggestions on how I should get started?

Thanks much!

Gordon

Blog Entries

Hi. Welcome.

Well, your PC is more than capable of doing the job. Windows Movie Maker will do the editing for you but to get the footage captured in the first place..... a couple of ways.

If you visit your local secondhand store, you'll most likely be able to pick up an 8mm camcorder with a firewire output. Alot of the Sony range have them. The alternative (for a good job) is a digital converter. I use a Canopus ADVC110 which is brilliant. About a hundred quid I think.

Your PC will need a firewire input (also known sometimes as iLink) Once you've connected the camera or converter you can use Movie Maker to capture, edit, render out to an mpg2 file which you'll be able to burn to a dvd.

Hope this helps.

Default 8mm to digital

Thank you for the info.

I have four old Sony 8mm cams but I don't see anything that says "firewire output". I do see the following connections:

The S-video, RCA left, right & video, RFU DC out (what is this?), and something called LANC? Don't know what this is either?.
    Are any of of these for the firewire which you speak of?

Thanks,
    Gordon

Default Conversion

I figured out none of my existing cams will work so I realize I'll need to purchase some equipment in order to get my 8mm analogue converted to digital and on to my PC.
    My question now is:
    Should I buy and use a,

A Sony DVMC-DA1 or DA2.

Or

A Sony Digital 8 camcorder?

Which will give me better quality and results?

Thank you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skysummit View Post
    Thank you for the info.

I have four old Sony 8mm cams but I don't see anything that says "firewire output". I do see the following connections:

The S-video, RCA left, right & video, RFU DC out (what is this?), and something called LANC? Don't know what this is either?.
    Are any of of these for the firewire which you speak of?

Thanks,
    Gordon
    RFU DC out is for the Sony RF converter from the camera. Same as used in the first Playstation. LANC is a remote control socket for zoom etc.

Personally I would go for a Digital 8 camcorder just because of cost. I saw one in my local secondhand shop for 59. At prices like that it seems worth it.

Blog Entries

I just googled the Sony boxes and it seems they have been discontinued. If you go for a converter, I would go for something like THIS