Thread: complete newbie question

Default complete newbie question

I just got my first ever digital camera. (Fuji F30). I just recorded a little video and am wondering how to compress its file size. The video, as produced by default setting on camera, is a 720x480 avi of filesize 67MB, length 1 minute long.

Can anyone tell me how to get the filesize down to about 10MB. What are my options? I would like to retain the audio quality, but could shrink the video from 720x480.

You have to take a look at the aspect ratio first, you state 720x480 which is NTSC while 720x576 is for PAL countries. (Depends ofcourse were you live)

To get the filesize down just use windowsmoviemaker which is supplied with windows xp. it's very easy to export from that (just google for tutorials on that) but allays expect some loss in video and audio, eventhough compressing from 67megs should retain most "quality"

How about if I am on a Windows machine but want to make it viewable on a Mac? A Mac without any non-factory software, that is. I assume Quicktime Player doesn't play WMV

Quote Originally Posted by 2ms View Post
    How about if I am on a Windows machine but want to make it viewable on a Mac? A Mac without any non-factory software, that is. I assume Quicktime Player doesn't play WMV
    Then you have to convert to quicktime format (.mov)

Quote Originally Posted by noa View Post
    You have to take a look at the aspect ratio first, you state 720x480 which is NTSC while 720x576 is for PAL countries. (Depends ofcourse were you live)
    Aspec ratio wont be an issue. While pal and NTSC differ in horizontal lines the conversion from one to another is minimal. I've produced works that have had NTSC and PAL releases. Its not something to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by noa View Post
    To get the filesize down just use windowsmoviemaker which is supplied with windows xp. it's very easy to export from that (just google for tutorials on that) but allays expect some loss in video and audio, eventhough compressing from 67megs should retain most "quality"
    FOr my own work site we use Windows movie maker to encode videos for the site. Of all the professional encoders we have found it to be the best for WMV when it comes to file size over quality

Quote Originally Posted by irishmark View Post
    FOr my own work site we use Windows movie maker to encode videos for the site. Of all the professional encoders we have found it to be the best for WMV when it comes to file size over quality
    Have you tried Canopus procoder? I know that WMM has very good compression quality but also procoder (which I use) has a very good quality for wmv. Ofcourse there is a hugh price difference Canopus has much more options to finetune compressionsettings depending were you need it for.

If you want more encoding options for WMV get yourself Windows Media Encoder - Its free!

I think you need to save your video, so its bigger, you need to squeeze most quality out of your video. try saving it in the best .avi format.
    a great man once said: you should always try and never give up because if you give up you will never win!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lindvideo15 View Post
    I think you need to save your video, so its bigger, you need to squeeze most quality out of your video. try saving it in the best .avi format.
    Not sure how this advice is supposed to help reduce the file size. Stick with Irishmarks advice, he knows what he's talking about.