Thread: headphones

Default headphones

Thanks everybody for the advice with microphones, most helpful.

Now I move on to headphones. Is the type of headphone important, or can you buy any closed cup to monitor sound?

Blog Entries

I usually use 'in ear' personal stereo types. I am sure closed cup type would be better, much more isolation from exteranl sound but i dont use those cos I feel a complete loon wearing them and as my cam is shoulder mounted they get in the way a bit.

Blog Entries

A lot of single-camera operators use in-ear headphones, like Mark W. suggested. It lets you know that something is being recorded. You should always have some sort of sound monitoring, the in-ear set or a "proper" pair.
    When it comes to "monitoring" the quality of the recorded sound, then yup, the type of headphone is very important. A pair of closed-back cans are essential. There are two main types which are accepted as "standard" for location recording, the Sennheiser HD25 and the Beyerdynamic DT 250

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.n...76?Open&print=

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/cms/Head...ctdatabase_pi1

Both cost around the 100 mark. I've got the Beyers and love 'em, others swear by the Sennheisers.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 01-27-2007 at 05:32 PM.

Of course,m when you consider that the majority of shootings you do are going to be played through sub-standard TV speakers the quality of the recording probably wont be that apparent :p
    It's not about what camera you use or how much it cost.

It's about what you shoot,
    how you shot it,
    and how you edit it :P