Thread: Adding new components

Default Adding new components

Looking at adding some components to my new dell cpu. First off I was going to get a firewire port, my local cpu store asked if it was a 4, 6 or 8 prong for transfering video to CPU, which is it??
    Also I was looking at having them install another internal harddrive, the new cpu already has these specs:
    Dimension E521,Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.00GHz, 512Kx2)2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 256MB nVidia GeForce 7300LE TurboCache250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM).
    My question is what size hardrive should I have them install, is there such a thing as overkill here?
    Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by fshngyd View Post
    1. my local cpu store asked if it was a 4, 6 or 8 prong for transfering video to CPU, which is it??

2. My question is what size hardrive should I have them install, is there such a thing as overkill here?
    Thanks for your help.
    1. Firewire card should have a 6 pin connection, just tell them you need it to connect a camera, if the store doesn't know the answer to that, go to another store

2. For video there is only one rule which men also have: Bigger is better, buy the biggest drive you can afford, you never regret it.

Having a separate hard drive just for video work is also recommended.

Thanks noa, I get your point . So Mihai, are you saying I need a standard 250GB hardrive, another built in ?Gb hardrive and then another external hard drive?

External hard disk isn't really a must. If you can afford it, you'll be glad you got it. But a dedicated hard drive for rendering and storage of output material, now that really improves general performance. Because it doesn't interract with Windows' processes.