Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help to choose the right capture card and editing software

Default help to choose the right capture card and editing software

hi,
    I need help to understand wich card and software should I buy.
    I need to capture at the highest mpeg2 or DV and after edited export dv and mpeg2 realtime.

Regards.

What are you importing from? If it's from a MiniDV camera then your interface card is a simple OHCI compliant firewire card. USe the saem intreface if you are later exporting back down to the camera - as long as the dv-in is enabled on the camera of course.

For analogue capture (from a VCR or pretty much any other sort of capture) you will need an analogue 2 digital convertor which will typically plug into a USB2 port.

As for s/w, too many to choose from without knowing what you want to do and what your final format and media will be and what your budget is.

Quote Originally Posted by millsy
    What are you importing from? If it's from a MiniDV camera then your interface card is a simple OHCI compliant firewire card. USe the saem intreface if you are later exporting back down to the camera - as long as the dv-in is enabled on the camera of course.

For analogue capture (from a VCR or pretty much any other sort of capture) you will need an analogue 2 digital convertor which will typically plug into a USB2 port.

As for s/w, too many to choose from without knowing what you want to do and what your final format and media will be and what your budget is.
    I would never suggest capture/converting with USB2...transfer rate just causing too many problems. Tried it with several different programs and never had much success
    I messed around with this capture/edit/burn mess for 8 months, read every review and forum I could find, and after spending a fortune on Pinnacle, Ulead, Sonic, and a few others, I found what I feel is as close to perfect as you can get.
    Any video work you do on a computer is going to take lots of space, so be prepared. I have a P4/3.0 ghz w/ht/80 GB hard drive.
    I finally settled on the Canopus ADVC 100 for capture/converter. It produces an AVI file, which is huge, but it will take just about anything you throw at it, unlike most capture products, without dropping frames. The quality of the file is pretty much identical to the video you feed it. I use Pinnacle Studio to edit because it is so simple to use, but I only use it to render to mpeg or avi files after editing. Forget trying to use the Pinnacle capture devices, they hate poor quality video and will crash constantly while editing. If you capture with the Canopus, then bring it into Studio, no editing crashes. It is also very fragile with rendering for a DVD, so I always render to mpeg2, then burn the mpeg file with Nero.
    Make sure you defrag and clean you computer before starting any of this and I always suggest wiping your computer of any video files you are finished with. The files are huge and can become corrupted when you defrag often, which you need to do when video editing.
    I got the Canopus on the net for about $220, then I used trial versons of Ulead and Nero for burning until I decided on one. Already had Pinnacle Studio, after buying every possible version of it...again I don't use the capture card that cost me $150 but I do use the program...Canopus does not come with software.
    There is a lot of free ware out there, but I will pay for ease.
    Good Luck...

I would never suggest capture/converting with USB2...transfer rate just causing too many problems. ....
    I finally settled on the Canopus ADVC 100 for capture/converter
    ... which connects via a firewire port which is slower than USB2 - go figure!!!

Blog Entries

I must admit that I've skim read your posts But apparently, and although firewire offers higher transfer rates than USB, its more suited to multimedia. For one, it offers peer-to-peer transfer without the need for a PC. Moreover, I believe the bandwidth is shared between all connecting equipment. Generally speaking peripherals are connected in USB as this is a cheaper alternatives. The camcorder is more likely to be the only peripheral connected by firewire, so theres more bandwidth for it to use.

Finally, USB relies on the CPU for the processing, where I believe firewire has its own dedicated processor.

Default RE

Well, Let me explain properly.
    I have use storm2 ultra and I am not happy
    I have use matrox x100 and still not happy
    the quality is very good but is not decent enought for me
    I am willing to spend over 2 grand if I have to.
    I still get creapy interlaced frames even once recorded on dvd or back to my dv cam.
    Once edited 1 hour video (FROM DV FOOTAGE) will take over 16 to render
    in MPEG2.
    I need something faster, say, 1 hour video, max 5 hours rendering at extremely gooooooooood quality

thanks again for your time to help me out.

hope that will help

Blog Entries

And your current system specs are...?

Default RE

intel P4 2.8 1GB RAM
    1)80GB HD 2) 160GB + la cie 500GB Firewire HD
    Matrox pharelia
    2x 19" monitors

Regards
    MANGO

Blog Entries

16 hours to encode 1 hour of DV to MPEG2 is pure crazy talk. With your specs you should be able to do it in at most 2 hours. And there shouldn't be any visible deteriation in quality from DV either.

So, what software you using?

vegas 4

2 minutes 40 seconds clip edited with fx is approximate left 45 minutes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast