Thread: confused dad making film for kids team

Default confused dad making film for kids team

I posted on here last week and replied but haven't had a response back yet. My question is what settings am I supposed to render my movie in. It has pictures and video. The video is digital video from a canon optura xi. I am using vegas movie studio 4.0

Last time i did this (last year) my pictures came out looking like crap. I think i figured out why. It seems the pixels were set fro 320x260 or something like that. When I cange format to NTSC DV pictures look cleaner and not as pixelly (is that a word?) Anyways I am confused on what the dimensions should be and at what frame rate(?) i should be using or is it called bit rate? I have fricked around with the properties for so long I now can't even remember what is what.

Please, please please! someone give me some advice on what properties I should put this highlight film in so my pictures come out as clear as possible and my video is clear.

I just put in a few pics and 1 or two video clips so I could see if it looked clean or pixelly...so to do that I pre rendered this to view it in an external player (windows media player) and when I did the music I (i Just put in one track) was all jumpy. Now what the !@#$% is up with that? Jezzo pezzo what is going on? Any help would be appreciated as the highlight reel needs to be done by Saturday night for sunday and I have ohh... only about 42 kids and another 100 parents counting on me!

Also I rendered it in Best and Good obviously best is clearer but for like only my test drive 6 pics 2 vid clips and 1 music track it took about 15 minutes to render. From reading here that is expected in rendering. I also have to put this on DVD disk because the coaches want to copy it and sell it as a fundraiser. Any suggestions on how to do this easily.

If I sound jumpy its because its 3 am in the morning and I'm running out of time.

For the love of pete help me!!!

Blog Entries

Ok Pete - set the properties of your project to 'pal dv', then edit your film, then render to 'pal dv' using best.

This will create the master best quality version.

To put this on to a payable dvd you need an authouring program - there are many as with editors - do you have one, if so which one?

If you want to use the web to show the film you will need to reimport your master copy and render a compressed version - do you want to do this ?

.....or maybe NTSC DV if its 3am!

Blog Entries

Ah - well spotted - if you are a US of A person then NTSC DV is the correct project setting.

ok, put your format to windows avi. then go to custom and change the quality to best, then click on the next tab and you can make your image sharper. also set your video to NTSC Widescreen, then burn your dvd.
    a great man once said: you should always try and never give up because if you give up you will never win!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lindvideo15 View Post
    ok, put your format to windows avi. then go to custom and change the quality to best, then click on the next tab and you can make your image sharper. also set your video to NTSC Widescreen, then burn your dvd.
    Sorry to butt in, but this post is a little misleading. Render to AVI, yes - if you want a top quality to master from, but you should also re-render that file to mpg for DVD. You cannot burn AVIs to DVD. Your DVD authoring s/ware may do the conversion to mpg for you, but it seems generally accepted that Vegas does a better job.

cool man, i didnt know that! yea im still new to video editing. (ive been doing it for 3 years)

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media View Post
    Sorry to butt in, but this post is a little misleading. Render to AVI, yes - if you want a top quality to master from, but you should also re-render that file to mpg for DVD. You cannot burn AVIs to DVD. Your DVD authoring s/ware may do the conversion to mpg for you, but it seems generally accepted that Vegas does a better job.
    a great man once said: you should always try and never give up because if you give up you will never win!

Default Thank you all this is what i did...

First off the DVDarchitect would not allow me to burn my dvd in .avi straight from movie studio. At least I could not get it to burn to DVD with sound. (If anyone knows how I can do it then please post how.) What I am referring to is when you are done and you press the tab "Make Movie". From there I could not figure out how to burn a dvd with both the video and audio.

So, I saved the finished product to my hard drive. Then from there I went to DVD architect and burned it to a DVD with the .avi I started new pressed make a single movie and waaaala!

As far as quality you all were right. I rendered it with nscdv (or whatever you use in the US.) PAL actually looked cleaner on my computer but my DVD player does not run PAL dvd's.

I used the best setting and made sure it was 720x640 or whatever that setting is. I also used 1.000 bit rate. LAst year when I made it I didn't render in best and I had it in 320x280 so everything looked pixelly and like crap. THanks for the head info. This is a great site glad to have found it and be part of it. I want to post my video for you all to see but it is 25 minutes long. I don't know if I can do it on the internet. If anyone could tell me how I would appreciate it.

By the way all the kids and parents loved it. Thank you all.