Thread: Cinematography Help

Exclamation Cinematography Help

Hi, I'm happy to see this board. It's helpful in many ways. I have no one to guide me about video editing jobs, so I'm lost. I have alot of questions about cinematography, but I don't want to cross the limit of asking. I'll just ask a few, and hopefully I'll get my answer

I have interest in video editing... I wanna do a job in that. I want to know, who is the person who edits the video and adds the special effects? Is it a cinematographer?

If you are a person who adds special effects to a video, how do you find your work? Meaning, do you go to one company (I don't know whatelse to call it) and stay with them? Or do different companies hire you temporarily just to edit their video.

How is the salary of this job?

I'm sorry if these questions are alot, but I'm in need of answers as time is running short. It would be helpful if you could also post the main meaning of Cinematographer. Thanks alot!

Time is running very short??? Why do I get the feeling that you are asking us to help with your homework here? I mean, it's hardly difficult to type the word 'cinemtography' into google is it?. I found an official defintions of the term in about 5 seconds that way. And as for fidning work as a special effects person. If you can;t define the role yet I strongly suspect you are trying to do too much too soon.

Apologies if I've misinterpreted this question.

Thanks for your reply. And no, it's not for my homework. I'm going into my second semester for collage, and I'm not liking any majors so far, and Multimedia interests me the most. Semester is abt to start soon.

Yes I searched it in google. I can't find the answer I need. By definition of Cinematography, I didn't mean "definition", what I meant was like, what is it all about, and like... The question is on the tip of my tounge, just can't get it out. I think that is not that much of a help.

If you can;t define the role yet I strongly suspect you are trying to do too much too soon.
    Yes, you are right, I am getting into it too fast. I have edited many videos, but I never thought of editing as a job before, just a hobby. So I don't know any positions in this job.

Anyhow, I've decided for the upcomming semester, I'll just take some elective courses to get my GPA up, and I'll have more time to really find out about this situation. I don't know anyone who does this kind of job, so I don't really know where to start. I'm hoping you guys can help. I'm currently residing in New York City, do you know of any good collage for multemedia?

Well, I don't know anyone who works for a special effect house for the movies or TV. I suggest you start by looking at the credits of your favourite movies, see which effects company did special FX and then contact them and ask how best to put forward your applications and/or what courses would work best for you.

Digging around this and some other forums get you mixing with a lot of pros who do a fair bunch of compositting and you can always sound them out on how they got started and how they find work.

Respectfully though, these particular forums, aimed at the beginner, thorugh serious amateur to small business videography (someone correct me if I've labbeled us wrongly guys!) are not typically frequented by high end movie special effects proffessionals so you may find the answers to your questions elsewhere rather than right here on this particular occasion.

Well, I don't know anyone who works for a special effect house for the movies or TV. I suggest you start by looking at the credits of your favourite movies, see which effects company did special FX and then contact them and ask how best to put forward your applications and/or what courses would work best for you.
    That's a good start.

I'll also look around other forums, and get to know more about this subject. I really love it, so I'm hoping I won't have any trouble in the long run.

Respectfully though, these particular forums, aimed at the beginner, thorugh serious amateur to small business videography (someone correct me if I've labbeled us wrongly guys!)
    lol I'm sure everyone is a pro in their own way!

Thanks alot for your help! It really took some pressure off me.

Good Day!

You'll need to put together a demo reel of your best work. That means putting your best cinematography, editing, compositing, music (if you are a musician all the better) etc etc onto a DVD that you can send to all the effects houses, movie and tv studios. Also get yourself a website and post smaller versions of your work onto it. If you have an interest in digital photography or graphic design then put together a portfolio and again take it to all the effects houses, movie and tv studios. Ask do they take on college students for internships or work experience as we call it over on this side of 'the pond'. Finally get yourself a name, don't use your own, come up with something that is catchy, don't use ILM or Dreamworks or any of the other ones that are doing the rounds at the moment, as they are already taken or their lawyers will sue your ass off if you do.

Blog Entries

If you are interested in cinemaphotography I have a great book that has inspired me and taught me loads -

'The five C's of cinemaphotography' by Joseph V. Mascelli ISBN 1-879505-41-X

...already taken or their lawyers will sue your ass off if you do
    lol, now I don't want that

'The five C's of cinemaphotography' by Joseph V. Mascelli ISBN 1-879505-41-X
    Thanks for the book, I'll certainly look for it in the library next time I go. If I can't find it there, then I'll just buy it, or perhaps find it online.