Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JVC Everio software

Question JVC Everio software

Hello all,

I have a JVC Everio GZ-MG70U HDD camcorder. I really do enjoy using it but I do not enjoy trying to use the software that came bundled with it (Cyberlink Power Director Express). Let me further explain my conundrum:

I dumped my video files from the camcorder onto my hard drive via the supplied USB cable. The downloaded movie file is a .mod (mpeg-2), which I am sure you all know. When I import the .mod file to Power Director I can see the video (on the viewer) as long as I play it from the Editing area (top left part of screen). If I drag & drop said .mod file to the Workspace down below and try to play it all I get is a green screen on the viewer. There is sound, just no pixels - no video. I would assume that I would be able to see video either way but then again, maybe not. And that explains why I am here... asking one of you.

I did surf through alot of threads and posts and replies on this forum over the past few nights. I even tried some of the recommendations but I have not been able to conquer this yet. I have tried renaming the .mod files to .mpeg... nope, didn't work. I even tried going to the Power Producer Gold; just to see if I would get video there... erm, no... nada, zip, zilch, nothing, kaput. Argh!

I must be doing something wrong, certainly! What it is, I haven't the slightest clue. Someone please opine. Show me the error(s) of my ways. Why JVC bundled software unfriendly with the camera is beyond my realm of imagination. My question to you is: What do I do? Do I keep the Cyberlink and if so, how do I get it to work? Or, do I purchase new and better software to get the job done? If I do that I would ideally like the cheapest with the best end product. I would like to think that Cyberlink is the way to go... I would like to think... That is what I want because it is cheap. I love cheap. Cheap is good. But I am open to whatever is the best solution.

Sorry for the lengthy thread, but I wanted those who read this to have a pretty clear understanding of my misfortunes. I would graciously entertain any, and all, replies. I have a lot of video footage that my wife keeps nagging me to put on a DVD for the grandparents. Thank you in advance...

Unfortunately any bundled software that comes "free" is Free for a reason - its crap! You'd be better off getting Premier or Vegas.

Its difficult to diagnose because i steer clear of such applications as all they do is cause stress.

You're right, but it should work at least in a basic way.

I don't know the answer, but you may be better off asking at the Cyberlink website.

I have the same setup, but I only used the software once. It did work perfectly, but I prefer Serif MoviePlus (Which is cheap AND good IMO) and Sony Vegas Movie Studio.
    Last edited by Rob; 01-23-2007 at 02:26 PM.

Irishmark and Rob... cheers for your inputs! They are greatly appreciated. I will have a look at the software programs you spoke of, especially if they fall in the cheap category! However, I will still try to tinker with the CyberCrap, er... Link software and see if I can get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by irishmark View Post
    Unfortunately any bundled software that comes "free" is Free for a reason - its crap! You'd be better off getting Premier or Vegas.

Its difficult to diagnose because i steer clear of such applications as all they do is cause stress.
    Premier... is that the one from Adobe? Just curious.

I couldn't find anything on Serif's website or Sony Vegas website saying that the software would support the .mod files. The Vegas website did say that it would support MPEG-2, but so does the CyberLink software - and that, of course, has got me nowhere.

Best bang for the buck... Vegas or Serif, or something else. I am planning on purchasing very, very soon. Please advise...

Serif MoviePlus does work, but you need to add the MOD extention as a known extension (pretty easy, one step process in MoviePlus 5)

Vegas Movie Studio also works (I use version 6.0 - there has been another version since this one).

They both work in a suspiciously similar way If you are familiar with one, you will feel totally at home with the other. So it's a matter of features, and as Serif MoviePlus is not limited in the number of tracks it can use, then I would give it a slight edge. However, there seems to be more information and tutorials on the web/magazines for Vegas MovieStudio. So if this is important to you, it may be enough to tip the balance. However, if you do have problems, the Serif community forum is frequently answered by the lead programmer, so you always get a fast response to problems you may have. And Serif has a better manual to start with.

"Swings and roundababouts" as they say

For "budget" editors, they are both pretty packed with features for the money.
    Last edited by Rob; 02-05-2007 at 09:36 AM.

Ok firstly I have never heard of Serif and on initial investigation It looks like a very low end cheap and poor editor.

The 2 industry leaders (for PC) are as i previously mentioned: Sony Vegas 7or Adobe Premier Pro 2. They are not the cheapest out there but there is a reason for that. They are both quite clearly the best. I have used both extensively and my personal choice is Vegas. However Premier has more hardware support and 3rd part plugin capability. Both have trial downlaods available on their respective websites so you may as well download them both and figure out which onw you prefer.

When it comes to these .mod files. There are a couple of things you can try. Bcasue of the deal that JVC have struck with cyberlink to bundle the software there has been a tweak added to cyberlink to recognise .mod files as video files. I strongly suspect that these .mod files are simply mpeg2 files. What you can ry is to rename the extension from ".mod" to ".mpg" Alot of the time this is all that's needed.
    A second thing but not as favourable is to use the Cyberlink software to see if you can render/encode the files to a difrenmt more freindly format.

As for budget editors - I cant help you there. I steer clear of them generally as I have no need for them.
    Last edited by irishmark; 02-05-2007 at 09:23 AM.

Hi Mark. I was wondering why you think that the Serif product is poor.

I was suggesting decent "budget" solutions. Of course if you have 400 - 700 to spend then I'm pretty sure they are worth it for professinals. I myself will be upgrading to Vegas 7 this month.

Quite simply its down to reputation. I have never heard of Serif until reading this thread. As a professional i consider it part of my job to keep my finger on the pulse when it comes to software and whats available so for a complete unknown to suddenly enter the playing field especially at the level its entereing, well it has no real credibility with me. I am obviously more than happy to be proven wrong but where there are budget versions of Premier and Vegas out there _ I'd automatically choose those becuase of their reputations.

Serif may well be the best thing out there but as its an unknown - I'd steer clear of it. It does look scarily similar to Vegas Movie Studio which alsio makes me think it probably is the same thing repackaged in which case - i'd go buy vegas anyway.

Nah.. They have a similar layout, but it's a different program which has been around for years. VMS looks a little more polished, but in practise, it's a little more sluggish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast