Thread: Hdv Editing

Default Hdv Editing

Hi
    can anyone help me , when capturing HDV Footage from a camcorder does it need to be captured with a HDV Capture card? also can you tell me if you record in SD on say A Sony HDR-FX1 WILL YOU get the same kind of quality as say you would get using a Sony VX21000. The reason i am asking is that i want to purchase a new camcorder but the capture card i have got is the Canopus Dvx and i dont want to by HDV Camera if i would be better off with the SD Camcorder.
    thanks in advance

No, just a normal firewirecard will do, as far as downconverting to sd concernes; I have seen footage from a fx1 which was downconverted to sd and in good light condition they looked good and more or less comparable to a vx2100 (Which I own) Only the FX1 is not a lowlight performer as the vx2100 is, so forget getting the same quality in, let's say, a wedding party at evening using a 3watt light. (Which I use with my vx2100) because then the fx1 produces muddy dark images which tend to be a bit yellowish.
    If you would have to choose between a sd of hdv cam, go for the hdv, it will be a standard anyway in the near future. Only consider teh fact that your pc needs to be really fast as well to handle hdv, that needs to be at least a dual core processor.

Default hdv editing

Hi Noa
    Thanks for the reply i do have a Dual Core Pentium 4 but what i would prefer is quality first and foremost, a lot of the work ill be doing is in clubs in the evening and i would rather have quality whether it be SD rather than HDV which doesnt meet the standard of a SD low light camcorder, anymore help would be appreciated.

Now HDV camera's are getting better and better in low light with every new release, the fx1 you are referring to is already a bit aging and cannot compete anymore against the new models from Sony or Canon. It all depends were the filmed material is going to be shown. Will it be a very big display, definitely go HDV because of their much higher resolution. In that case you need to add an extra 10-30watt lap to your cam. Question is if that is appreciated in the clubs.

If that is not the case the vx2100 is an option, it's out of production because Sony is switching to HDV completely on their higher end camera's but you can still find it new and at a very competitive price. The vx2100 is one of the best low light producers available in it's price class and for a sd camera. You will find a lot of wedding videographers (Including me) owning such a camera because it can handle darker situations very well. Best way to be sure is to hire a camera and give it a try, it's the only way to find what you are looking for.

I must thank you for being most helpful, i understand what your saying about the 10-30 watt lamp , i dont think i would be playing material back in anything much more than 50 inch screens if you could help me on that question .

There not much more to say I think as it all depends what your expectations are, hdv can deliver cristal clear images if played back on the right equipment meaning hd - recorder, hd tv and if the media is burned onto a blue ray disk.

Sd means less resolution but if you don't mind you can save quite a bit of money, only if your clients demands hdv later then your in for a big investment again.