Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Camcorder Question

Default Another Camcorder Question

I am taking a trip to China early in the summer. I am documenting my sisters' return visit to their orphanages. I am completely new to shooting video and I need some help on what camcorder I should purchase for this trip. I want to be able to document this trip very well, as it is a once in a lifetime trip. The camcorder that I have been looking at is the Canon XH A1. From what I read it is a very solid camcorder and one that will last quite a while. Do you have any other suggestions. My budget is around $4000 for everything. Thank you for your help.

the xh a1 is a rock solid cam and you can't go wrong with it. Only thing I am worried about is the fact that your new at video and then this camera might be a bit too much for you. It is a camera with a lot of manual controls and actually better in the hands of an experienced videographer.
    Personally I would suggest HDV cams in like the Sony hdr-hc3 http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm
    It's HDV, it's small and a point and shoot camera meaning you will have very clear picture, you can easily take the cam everywere with you and you almost don't have to worry about the settings. Also you can have a look at the hdr-hc1 (if they still are selling it, I'm not that updated anymore about all the types of hdv cams) http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...HC1-Review.htm
    which has a bit more manual control that will be a benefit.

Have you also considered the fact that your pc has to be rock solid as well to handle HDV material?

Should I wait on the HC5 or HC7 because Sony just announced those during CES? The HC5 is supposed to be the same price as the HC3.

I think any successor nowadays will be an improvement in HDV, so if you could wait then the hc5 or 7 might be a better choice. Problem is of course that you can only read about user experiences after a while so at the release you don't now the weaknesses of the camera.
    I suggest you google a lot for reviews about a certain type of cam you want to purchase, that's what I always do before I spend my hard earned money.

Blog Entries

Forgive the rather oblique comment but what and how you shoot are far more important than what you shoot it on. I would spend some of that cash on some books that may help you compose and shoot cool video on this great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Forgive the rather oblique comment but what and how you shoot are far more important than what you shoot it on. I would spend some of that cash on some books that may help you compose and shoot cool video on this great trip.
    True, even David Lynch shot his new movie Inland Empire on a Sony PD150, but I think he doesn't need books anymore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noa View Post
    True, even David Lynch shot his new movie Inland Empire on a Sony PD150, but I think he doesn't need books anymore.
    Excellent - so I can still be famous using a cranky old vx9000 !

While that is good to know, my brother and I do want to make some kind of documentary about our trip. It is very different than most trips to China. My sisters were adopted from there and we are going back to see orphanages and the spots there were abandoned at. Potentially this could be a very moving experience for the whole family but especially my sisters. So not only is our video for ourselves but we would like to market it to the adoption agencies as a tool that they can use.

I think the topic is a great one and i think you would be able to market this no problem. Just one thing, china as far i know is not a camera freindly place i would do some research into what you need to film there. Turning up with a point a press camera, you could pass of as normal tourist. Turn up with a pro looking camera, you could end up in prison etc.

Maybe something to think about for your choice of camera
    DUDE were's my car
    www.myspace.com/cheapdirt07

Quote Originally Posted by FNG View Post
    Turning up with a point a press camera, you could pass of as normal tourist. Turn up with a pro looking camera, you could end up in prison etc.
    Even if the camera has "Made in China" printed on it? (bad joke, I know but couldn't resist) All kidding aside, is the situation really that bad? Shouldn't you allready experience problems passing customs if you have a, let's say, Canon XL2 with you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast