Thread: Condensation?

Default Condensation?

I am off to Antarctica on Monday and wondered if anybody had any suggestions to combat condensation taking the camera from a warm cabin out to colder!! air. and vice versa

I have had this problem on a skiing trip before.

Warsop, Nottinghamshire.
    Blog Entries

Hi.... groovy trip, I'm quite jealous!

As for the potential problem.... I can't think of a solution other than to let the camera acclimatise gradually. Could be a bummer to combat in such low temperatures..... the mechanism could just freeze up I guess. How long do batteries last in such cold condistions?

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Antarctica - WOW.

Now I have never expirienced such drastic conditions but a few things come to mind.

I think the biggest probelm wiill be coming from cold to warm. Cold air is usually very dry, it cant hold very much water at low temperatures, warm air does, especially in enclosed spaces and all that water needs to condense is a cold camera. I would try to let the camera warm up slowly somehow - keep it in a closed bag or in a cool place.

The other problem you may face is batteries - extreme cold can reduce the bat performance.

Found this -

Default Antarctica

Thanks guys will post a small report on return

Might I suggest that you keep your Camera refrigirated inside the Cabin?

Mobile phone engineers often place handsets in the fridge to remove condensation after water spill accidents.

Of course, keep the battery out of the fridge as battereys don't like low temps.
    It's not about what camera you use or how much it cost.

It's about what you shoot,
    how you shot it,
    and how you edit it :P