Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun shots... how to make them look real

Default gun shots... how to make them look real

hello.

someone tell me please: i am working on a film that has gunshots. will After Effects do the magic?

Last time we did that, we had to hire someone to do it on Maya and 3D Max. please give me some clue how to do it using a software similar to Premiere Pro (cos that is what i know).

thanks for the continual support
    The victor will never be asked if he told the truth!

Try below link which will do the trick
    http://www.detonationfilms.com/free_stuff.htm

Andrew Kramer has done an excellent tutorial on how to make muzzle flashes in After Effects. Including how to let the flash light up your scene as well. An important feature that I've seen missed out elsewhere.

It's either on his Tutiorial DVD (which you'll have to buy) or it's on his website so check out www.videocopilot.net to see if it's there.

or maybe you can just do a screen capture of a movie with gun shots and muzzle flashes and using your fave image editor cut ouyt the muzzle flash and then just drop it over the top of your own footage. The orientation of the gun would nee to be similar for this to work though.

If you do find yourself completely stuck then PM me and I'll probabaly be able to email you a few stills that you can 'key in' as muzzle flashes.

edit: Actually you should seriously consider his 'Action Pack Bundle' that includes tons of flashes, explosions etc etc and also his tutorial DVD. Good value for the time it saves you.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Mills; 01-19-2007 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    Andrew Kramer has done an excellent tutorial on how to

It's either on his Tutiorial DVD (which you'll have to buy) or it's on his website so check out www.videocopilot.net to see if it's there.

Alan
    It's on the "action movie essentials" dvd he is selling, the only free tutorial he is showing how to light up a scene when firing a gun. The site I was referring to however providers free muzzle flashes taken from different angles. So I would check out the free ones before spending money on it, although the different videopacks form Andrew kramer are a must if you want to do some serious effects

Quote Originally Posted by noa View Post
    It's on the "action movie essentials" dvd he is selling, the only free tutorial he is showing how to light up a scene when firing a gun. The site I was referring to however providers free muzzle flashes taken from different angles. So I would check out the free ones before spending money on it, although the different videopacks form Andrew kramer are a must if you want to do some serious effects
    They certainly are a must. The tutorial DVD is really very good for action movie work. I even have a spare (original - yes I've got two opriginals!) copy if anyone want to make me an offer!
    Last edited by Alan Mills; 01-22-2007 at 11:26 AM.

I will offer you a pea for it! Do i get free P&P ? Seriously-Whats the asking price?

Quote Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
    I will offer you a pea for it! Do i get free P&P ? Seriously-Whats the asking price?
    Actually, I'm not sure what the legal position on selling it on would be so I withdraw the offer.

You see I ordered the original. The order took a few days before it changed to status = SENT (or whatever). in the meantime I enquired because I couldn't see any movement on the order. Was told eveything was ok and it was their distributors' order system etc etc Anyway, it turned up a couple of days later and the next day a second one turned up. I assume they posted a second copy after I enquired assuming it was a 'lost in the post' problem. I emailed Andrew Kramer asking where I should send the 2nd copy back to and he told me to keep it as a backup 'for my honesty' - see it does pay!

As an aside though, for anyone who has the Action Essentials, there is an update on the website. Some sound effects to go with the explosions and stuff.

9. Default

I am still learning after effects but I know it can obviously do such an effect.
    But you could also check out particle illusion 3. Their website is www.wondertouch.com. And I believe they do have a trial demo for download. Pretty damn good particle system.
    much easier with a computer

Quote Originally Posted by odroller View Post
    I am still learning after effects but I know it can obviously do such an effect.
    But you could also check out particle illusion 3. Their website is www.wondertouch.com. And I believe they do have a trial demo for download. Pretty damn good particle system.
    As much as I am a fan of PI3 (loads of previous posts to that effect) gunshots is one area where it does nto excel I think. The muzzle flash emmitters are really just images that come at for a frame or two so you'll do jujst as well in that instance by having the image yourself and editting it in for a frame or two.

What PI3 will do really well though is the puff of smoke from the gun afterwards and/or the bullet impact with a little blast of debris going all over the shop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast