Thread: Walk Over Transition - How?

Default Walk Over Transition - How?

Hello,

Please have a look at this little vid [~0.5M, not mine].

http://www.608z.com/Video/WALK-OVER-01.mov

At around 2 sec there is a transition between shots where someone walks past the camers.

I would like to know how to do this in Premiere or After Effects.

The only way I can think of doing it is keyframing a green screen at the same place as the walker, and super-imposing over the green screen, but there 'must' be an easier way.

Thanks in advance...

I haven't watched the movie clip you linked to but this effect is surprisingly simple. It get's complicated depending on how complicated the mask needs to be.

Place your orginal clip (with the person walking by) on layer two and you second clip (that are transitioning to) on layer one.

At the time the peorson walks past the scene you simply need to add a garbage matt so that the bit of image that they have walked past is ignored, showing the other layer through it.

You can easily do this in Premiere Pro but the masking options available are not so hot and you'll only get a good result if you can mask using straight lines using the 4, 8 or 16 point garbage matts.

You'll get the best result using AE where you can mask anything in whatever shape you want using spline curves etc. Also, you can feather the mask in AE which you can't in Premiere.

Hope this is clear. Ask if you need more.

Alan

Alan,

Just thought i would hop in here and ask:
    Any chance you could post a link to a tutorial or a video showing what you and DoubleHigh mean, as i cant seem to watch the video posted by DoubleHigh.

Thanks in advance.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchuk View Post
    Alan,

Just thought i would hop in here and ask:
    Any chance you could post a link to a tutorial or a video showing what you and DoubleHigh mean, as i cant seem to watch the video posted by DoubleHigh.

Thanks in advance.

Mitch
    No. I can't post a tutorial as I've never seen one. I've seen this type of effect in any number of TV shows and movies though. It's not hard to do at all.