Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glidecam 4000 / varizoom flowpod

Default glidecam 4000 / varizoom flowpod

I was planning buying a steadycam device mainly to be used during the fotoshoot at weddings, though I have read tons of articles involving the glidecam 4000 and the varizoom flowpod I have a hard time deciding which would be best. (I can use a dvx100 or a vx2100 with it)
    I have also seen many user video's about the result and the glidecam 4000 often seem to get very good results if balanced correctly but it also is quite a hassle getting it balanced right. The varizoom however seems to have the ability to get the balance set up quite quickly if you use the included balancing plate. Now the example videos on varizooms site don't give me the same " wow" feeling I have with glidecam. They also use a very wide angle lens which of course smooths out a lot of unwanted movement.
    You would expect the varizoom to have some counterweights at the bottom like the glidecam does but it is a total different approach. Eventough I have read good things from both steadcams, are there any here who know some links to video's made by varizoom users?

no varizoom users here?

I have both, glidecam & Varizoom flowpod. Glidecam is much better steadyshot but very difficult to handle it (its very heavy). Glidecam is the best choice with smoothshooter....

(sorry for bad english)...

Quote Originally Posted by madix View Post
    I have both, glidecam & Varizoom flowpod. Glidecam is much better steadyshot but very difficult to handle it (its very heavy). Glidecam is the best choice with smoothshooter....

(sorry for bad english)...
    I never got an answer on this one and now suddenly someone with both stabilisers, what are the odds? So thanks a lot for you reply.
    I was suspecting this, in the meantime I had seen a few flowpod video's from users and to tell you the truth, they looked like crap, even on the varizooms site their own demovideo's don't look that great, plus they use big wideangles to smooth out shakes even more.
    On the glidecam site and judging from uservids it looked very professional.

I want to use this thing at weddings and the varizoom appealed to me because it was easy to setup and carry along, 2 advantages which are very valuable when you are in the weddingbusiness.
    Since that won't be the case with the glidecam I will have to attach my second cam permanently during such a shoot if I want to use it.

Did it take you long before you were able to get your first good looking glidecam shots?

And again, thanks for the answer, your English is not bad at all, if you want you can pm me in Dutch, German or French, no problem.

Thank you for the link

Here in Greece me and my brother we shoot wedding & Baptisms. The all situation is very different from the other countries. Very dark Churches, no windows, too many people around, the party is a crazy think! Greek Wedding! The Glidecam is very good solution for me, special in the party after the ceremony because there is a lot of energy, people never stop to dance (in groups of 10-20 and more)…madness J

I handle the Glidecam 4000 with FX1, Panasonic wide lens (need one), big battery and a lightspot. First I bought the Glidecam Arm but I focused in the tired hand more and least in camera shots. So I order the SmoothShooter J

I did some hours practice and its very easy to me to learn the basics, but always need practice!

The smoothshooter is a bit outside my budget and to difficult to carry 'in the field', I allways have 2 cameras with me because everythinh has to be done real fast the first part of a weddingday. I was planning to attach one camera permenantly to the glidecam during the church ceremonie and the fotoshoot. Eventhough a harnas would provide even more stable shots, its too big to carry along.
    I know what you mean with 'greek' weddings I think I haven't done those so far but done weddings for people who came from Italy, Serbia, Egypt, Russia and very soon Vietnam and all I can say Italians are definately most crazy partypeople so far (allthough serbs and egyptians alsoknow how to through a party). Italians are also very energetic and constantly dance and sing italian songs, you never get bored filming and editing weddings like this.
    Last edited by noa; 03-10-2007 at 09:31 AM.

Until today I used glidecam with brace arm but my hand war tired incredibly. I know that smoothshooter it wants time to compile but I have found some tricks to setup the all thing at least 10 min. Fortunately smoothshooter he is very simple in the assembly… In any case the basic reason of purchase a smoothshooter is the cover of dance-Party that exceeds the 2 hours of continuous movement…

...I use varizoom flowpod in baptisms, only for Slowmotion highlights take a look
    here (made it with flowpod):

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast