Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Footage From Movies To Practice Effects

Default Using Footage From Movies To Practice Effects

Has anybody ever ripped a scene or two from a dvd to practice rotoscoping, masks or other effects.

I understand that using that said footage would be breach of copyright, but if it was just to practice would there be anything wrong with that.
    NG Productions
    Currently learning Rotoscoping & Chroma-Keying.. wow it's hard work, but I supose the results will payoff.

Blog Entries

I do it all the time myself. So long as you dont sell on stuff you would be okay within the spirit if not the letter of copyright.

Get a prog called dvddecrypter (google it) and that will rip films to your hard drive - be warned it can take bloody ages.

I've just worked on this.... please forgive the lenght it's only 1 second worth of footage and it might not be up to some of your standards but please note i'm only a beginner and this was my first ever attempt at rotoscoping. It took me nearly a hour to do 1 second of footage .

NG Productions
    Currently learning Rotoscoping & Chroma-Keying.. wow it's hard work, but I supose the results will payoff.

Blog Entries

Looks ok - personally I find this rotascoping too much of a chore - if you are going to get into it be advised that we see many of these on this board, it is the idea that counts, something original apart from the rscoping, that is just dam hard work.

Looks like you are getting the hang of it.

Blog Entries

Yep, looks OK. I actually enjoy rotoscoping.... but the hours do slide by.

Would anybody have any suggestions for a good sword fighting scene that doesn't have too many camera angles. From the following films:

1. Braveheart
    2. Matrix 1,2 or 3 (I not quite sure they use swords, but I know theres a few scenes that uses sticks which will work just as well)

Because the Light Saber effect seems quite easy - takes along time, but I found it easy.
    NG Productions

Blog Entries

Why not shoot your own? Just set up a camera (one angle) Do the moves you want with a broom handle or something and work on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media View Post
    Why not shoot your own? Just set up a camera (one angle) Do the moves you want with a broom handle or something and work on that?
    He could be in danger of becomeing "Star Wars Kid II" if he did that! lol

Not on your list but, for me, the best sword fight ever put to film is the end fight to Scaramouche! Now I would pay to see that rotoscoped for light sabres. Problem is it's about ten minutes long so 'scoping that would take quite a while.

I don't get it. Why is every filmmaker wannabee nuts about rotoscoping and light sabers? Is it a matter of age?

Blog Entries

Well I was still just a kid (just) when the first s wars film came out and I feel kind of warm about them but I am too dam lazy to do the work to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast