Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: comments on Final Cut Pro?

Default comments on Final Cut Pro?

What do you think, chaps?
    I try to make someone happy every day - but it may not be your turn today . . .

Blog Entries

Not a user so big pinches of salt needed.

I think I am right in saying that is is often cited as the dbs becuase it actually is very very good - never seen it myself but my chums at college often talk about it and one thing they consistently mention is it's colour control features.

I also think I am right in saying that it is the only 'normal priced' (!?) editor that does everything in a 10bit colour space, most use 8bit. What the real world effect of this may be i am not sure, but that is what people say.

hmmm; it is apparently the one that the Beeb dishes out on a mac for self-editing journos, etc., and it interfaces with things like Avid - which I find a bit difficult to get on with . . .

Blog Entries

The beeb in bristol have thier journos edit on networked pcs, but I didnt ask what they used, but it wouldnt have been fcp since that is as you probably know a mac only thing.

Hi Chris,
    I've used final cut pro a few times but have close friends who use it all the time. I think the first attraction is it's one of those applications thats 'immedietly accepted' in the broadcast world as many successful indy films such as 'open waters' was editied on it, and also the 10 bit colour capabilities is quite attractive aswell although like mark said i don't know if this is going to make much if at all any visable difference on the common eye.

I personally use vegas due to the fact i like to be able to achieve my ideas fast and vegas is the type of program which will allow me to make things happen almost as fast as i can think of them, where as my experience with final cut pro leaves me pressing a million and 1 buttons to do something which would usually only take me 10 seconds for example adding a cross disolve, taking down each clips speed to 60% via a velocity envelope then fade out to black. That would litteraly take me less than 10 seconds in vegas but a good while longer in final cut pro.

All in all i would say final cut pro is an excellent program with excellent colour correction tools and a smart layout and once you get to grips with it your results would'nt dissapoint at all however i would say the same about most other NLE programs, i mean if the content was filmed well and you or who ever is editing knows what he's doing then i really think an NLE decision is just down to which ever one you so happen to learn first as you can achieve the same results from different programs. Hope this helps

Thanks for that - you comments make very good sense!

i think one of the best features of final cut pro is not even on the program itself hence the "manual"... it explains every basic terms and process of editing (from project administration - digitizing to print/taping) good enough for beginners to really understand how to start an editing session... if you haven't mastered any of editing software and got addicted by it's workflow, FCP is the way to go, because its been getting good rep from the industry (big/small) from the start until now...

im an avid user...

If i had the cash to do so I would immediatley go out and buy a high end G5 loaded with FCP.

While not as familiar with it as i'd like due to lack of access to FCP systems It is the industry standard and I have lost out on several freelance contracts as a result.

The G5 was designed with FCP in mind. Where PC editing is now at a standard that works Macs have always led the way with superior design for multimedia.

I know alot of London Soho studios that have Avid suites lying idle making way for FCP systems.

Blog Entries

Arrgh, now I am really tempted to hijack this thread and turn it into a pc v mac row - but I wont, I think we have done that a few times... hee hee... no I cant resist.... yes I can...

All I would say is that it annoys me that you cant get fcp for pc (the machines are the same now). I bet that is mac being protectionist, like with some music s ware - didnt they buy the rights to certain pieces of s ware and ring fence it for the mac? That sucks.

Having said that if I was loaded I might buy a dual xeon big mac as they are well priced, but I would run xp on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Having said that if I was loaded I might buy a dual xeon big mac as they are well priced, but I would run xp on it.
    actually a 3d animator friend of mine bought a macbook pro 17" just for the looks and install windows on it...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast