Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to edit.....

Default How long does it take to edit.....

This might sound strange, but to date I've recorded and edited 3 different shows averaging run times of about 2hrs each, one was for a comedy hypnotist, the other two were live gigs.

Unfortunately, as you do when starting, its a labour of love and you don't really watch the hands on the clock so I have no real concept as to how long an editing process can take.

The shoots were mostly 2 cam gigs and I remember reading somewhere (or else I made it up...lol) that editing takes on average 10 times as long as your project, i.e. a 2 hr film takes (on average ) 20 hrs and a 3 Hr film takes 30 hrs.

Anyone else have thoughts on this, does this sound about right for "multicam" edits.

All the best

Torby

If you want to see examples of our work visit video.google and do a search for whinbush all will become clear

Blog Entries

Phew... how long is a piece of string.....

The process can take as long as you want to take really. If you're not adding any effects or whizz-bang stuff, and just cutting one cam to another it can be a reletively quick process. If you start adding effects.... another story completely. Dont forget too you've titles to think about and authoring to dvd (probably) to take into account.... sound treatment to handle....

And so it goes on.

For me, with a five camera set up on a live band I would expect an hour (average) for every minute on screen. Some stuff done in seconds, jazzy effects hours and hours.

Hi Andy, blimey that was a quick reply, I appreciate what you're saying...I didn't realise just how much time can be taken up in editing....I suppose its still a labour of love for me thats why I don't notice the time fly past. looking at your figures for 5 cams, effects and titles etc...I reckon I'm not too far off the mark for a simple 2 cam edit, not titles and hoping the audio is fine to start with....just have to factor in the DVD authoring process next.

Thanks again Andy...great info

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torby View Post
    .... and hoping the audio is fine to start with....
    NEVER HOPE!

Check, check and check again, you'll only get one chance at it!

As Andy implied, never skimp and make short cuts on the audio.

You'll get away ( to some extent) with blemishes in the video if the audio is good but the other way round? for a music gig, no way. You might spoend more time on the audio than you do the picture.

Not sure what the defacto standard is but thing in terms of 70% sound and 30% picture for a good DVD.

thanks guys, I think what I meant when I said I hoped the audio was ok was the occasions I've asked for feeds from the desk etc the techs didn't really want to help....I have practically evey combination of connectors under the sun....but give me a feed....no way....I've explained to the bands that I need a good audio feed.....but it comes well down their list of priorities.....think I'll spell it out in terms andconditions....if you don't give me a good feed....I can't be held responsible for bad audio.....wonder would that work....

loving the forum....don't know how long it'll take me to read all these posts and topics....but here goes...

Blog Entries

I think you should specify you would need facilities for a feed from the desk, however this can also sound a bit weird depending on the PA used as that will add the final colouration to the sound.

As for editing if you are doing better than hour / min then you are flying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torby View Post
    .....think I'll spell it out in terms and conditions....if you don't give me a good feed....I can't be held responsible for bad audio.....wonder would that work.......
    Absolutely. I had a horrific experience with a big name act whos soundie / company manager was a total tosser and completely screwed me over. Non co-operation in the sound dept I just won't tolerate. As much as they are paying for my services, they have to understand that they need to give me the desk feed to do the best job possible. When the final product is watched, the viewer will judge what I've done just as much as what the act has.

Incidentally, I mix desk sound with live mics too, so you need to be able to accommodate both sources to get stuff top knotch. When you can do that and do a 5.1 mix, it blows their socks off.

Hi Andy, just checked out your site and some of your videos, thats exactly the kind of thing we are trying to do here in Northern Ireland. We don't have as big a marketplace as you, but then again, there's not so many of us looking for work!

You, Mark W and Alan Mills have given some great feedback already....I'm glad I joined this forum!!!

I know its probably not the right thread but you probably all all sunbscribed to it now, perhaps you might like to visit our website and follow the links to some of the work we have done already.

I know I am asking for help here, but hopefully as we're not in competition that should be OK.

Finally in legal terms, where should we best look for contracts, releases etc. We are happy to put the ball back in the clients lap for most of the clearances required, but is there a resources site for us fledgling videographers.

Oh yes....racked my brain to get a time on the editing process....but still can't get it near the hour/minute ratio....lol....perhaps when you look at the videos we have posted you might see where we've gone wrong....lol

Blog Entries

Thanks for the thanks !

Will check out your site.

As for releases - I am no expert and hardly ever bother as most of my work is non profit / university related but one thing springs to mind...

Ages ago I was filming a gig as a favour (long story - wiser now ! ) and in the middle of the mosh this coked up geezer actually put his hand on my lens, my nice clean WA lens without hood or filter (grrr) and told me I couldnt film him without his permission.

What a nerve, the only people who get to live after doing that are the police cos I am scared of them and people who I have provoked just to get the shot. He actually blathered on that he was signed and I needed to speak to his agent !

I was unusually calm and polite and asked if he had his ticket - there in small letters at the bottom ' participants may be filmed for security or other reasons' - what a dick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast